|“||Mystik -- I survived my first match, with only two broken ribs. Being as safe as I can, and keeping my distance. Unfortunately, the others are already asking about the Tower. The one Legend you love confronted me on the dropship. I thought he had evidence, but it turns out he’s just an idiot.
There are two others here who are BIG guys. Like your son. Very intimidating. I’m sure one’s a sociopath, but I may have judged the other too soon. His name is Makoa Gibraltar, and he’s here to help Legends survive. I always chalked the Games up to neanderthals trying to prove something. Turns out some of them have a strong code of ethics. Ironically, the only neanderthal I’ve met trying to prove something… is me. Burn this letter as soon as you receive it. Will write when I can. Family forever. --TJP
|Real Name||Tae Joon Park (박태준)|
|Weight||130 lbs (59 kg)|
|Height||5'9" (175 cm)|
|Tactical Ability||Surveillance Drone|
|Ultimate Ability||Drone EMP|
|Voice Actor||Johnny Young|
A Recon Legend, Crypto takes to the skies with his Surveillance Drone, revealing enemies for both Crypto and his teammates, thanks to Neurolink. And if he finds that the enemies have already hunkered down, he can activate his Drone EMP to break their defenses and slow them, before he comes out of the shadows and makes his move with his squad.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Crypto specializes in secrets; he knows how to uncover them, and how to keep them. A brilliant hacker and encryption expert, he uses aerial drones to spy on his opponents in the Apex Arena without being seen.
Orphans raised on the streets of Suotamo, Tae Joon and his foster sister Mila Alexander escaped a life of squalor by becoming computer engineers, designing drones used by the Syndicate to transmit the Apex Games throughout the Outlands. But one day, Tae Joon and Mila accidentally discovered a prediction algorithm used by the Syndicate to rig bets for the Apex Games, leading to Mila’s mysterious murder - and the framing of Tae Joon for it. With his reputation destroyed, and the Syndicate after him, he gave up his identity, his face and his family in order to facilitate his redemption.
Wanting to get closer to the people who framed him, Tae Joon wanted to join the games but thought he wouldn't be able to pass the games' qualifiers. He did what he does best by hacking into the games' mainframe and putting himself in their records as a legend, but not before blowing up Kings Canyon's Repulsor Tower to serve as a distraction. This allowed the entry of hostile wildlife on Kings Canyon and disruption of the games.
Now joining the games as the combatant known as Crypto, he seeks justice - and revenge.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Surveillance Drone[edit | edit source]
|Description||Deploys an aerial drone. 40 second cooldown if destroyed.|
- The drone can be deployed and flown up to 200 meters away from Crypto. If the drone is 240+ meters away from Crypto, it'll automatically be recalled.
- The drone can ping items as long as they are within 12 meters. Enemies can be pinged up to 125 meters.
- When not being piloted manually, the drone can be parked in midair or recalled to Crypto. The recall takes 3 seconds.
- The drone has 30 health, and only heals damage when recalled.
- The drone can be used to open doors and supply bins, and can pick up teammates' banner cards. It must be within 7 meters to do this.
- Looking at a banner display with the drone lists the number of enemy squads within the 200 meter radius.
- Crypto is left stationary while piloting the drone. Taking damage while in drone view will force Crypto out of it.
- Primary weapons automatically reload while in drone view.
- Although your team can see everything, try to ping locations to help your team out.
- Crypto is completely vulnerable while in drone view. Find an out of the way place to stay while managing the drone.
- Sometimes you can use the Drone as a decoy so the enemy or enemies will be distracted to shoot it, while you're either flanking or escaping.
- If your squad mates have died outside the ring and you're inside the ring, you can use Surveillance Drone to safely retrieve your squad mates' banner.
- Crypto can also recall the Surveillance Drone while he is currently using a consumable item such as a Medkit or Shield Battery, as both only require one hand. This can allow you to reposition the drone after healing.
- Holding the tactical button allows Crypto to deploy his drone without needing to enter drone view.
[edit | edit source]
|Description||Crypto and his teammates see what the Surveillance Drone detects up to a 30 meter radius.|
- The drone will highlight nearby doors, supply bins, traps and enemies in its line of sight. Enemies are more noticeably marked with a triangle.
- Enemies seen by the drone will see 'DRONE DETECTED' on their HUD.
- Mirage cannot be detected while cloaked from Encore! or Vanishing Act.
- Mirages decoys can be scanned but won't be highlighted as an enemy.
- Enemies won't be highlighted if Gibraltar's Dome of Protection comes between them and the drone.
- If Crypto is inside enemy or friendly Bangalore smoke while in recon mode your screen will start to become fuzzy.
- Enemies cannot be detected through Bangalore’s smoke or Caustic’s gas.
- The Drone EMP and Neurolink can be used even when Crypto is not directly controlling the drone. This actively allows Crypto to stay in the fight or gather information on what the enemy/enemies are doing.
- If you're struggling looking for the last few squads. Using the drone to fly around in a 30 meter radius while opening doors and going through buildings etc., you might have a chance of the enemy/enemies being marked by your drone as you flew by them without even realizing they were hiding in a corner. Giving your squad the information you need.
Drone EMP[edit | edit source]
|Charge time||180 seconds|
|Description||Charge up an EMP blast from your drone. Deals 50 shield damage, slows players, and disables traps.|
- Takes 3 seconds to charge before detonating.
- Affects all enemy players (and Crypto himself) in its 30 meter radius, even through walls and cover. Teammates are unaffected.
- The slow lasts roughly 1-2 seconds.
- The following is everything that the Drone EMP will destroy:
- The following is everything that will take 50 damage from Drone EMP:
- Body Armor that players dropped.
- EMP will deal 100 damage instead of 50 to the following:
- The radius of the blast is the same as Neurolink's tracking radius. If an enemy is highlighted in orange, you know they'll be caught in the blast.
- You can activate EMP even when you are not in the drone view. The EMP will be activated where you last leave the drone. This way, you can set the drone in one spot, leave the drone view, prepare for ambush, activate the EMP, and rush immediately.
- Keep in mind that you and your drone are still vulnerable to damage while EMP is charging.
- Be mindful that your drone is easier to spot while EMP is charging. Try to activate EMP in a tough to reach/aim spot to keep your drone safe.
- Using the EMP on enemies who are fighting or escaping outside The Ring can be effective as the slow effect can potentially be enough for the ring to knock or eliminate them.
- Using EMP on single targets is well worth doing. This can take an enemy out of the team fight for a few seconds if you solo EMP them rather than their team to group up. Solo EMPs also have more chances of being successful than it getting shot down.
- EMP is very good for ending team fights quickly to and lessening the chances of your team getting third partied.
- As a Crypto main, it's best to carry at least 1-2 Ultimate Accelerant in your inventory to quickly build another EMP.
- When paired with Wraith, having her create a Dimensional Rift as you follow her while manually piloting the Drone to EMP. Take the portal to force a team fight as well as having an escape route back to safety just encase the team fight is failing.
Cosmetic Items[edit | edit source]
Skins[edit | edit source]
There are a total of 48 legend skins for Crypto; 10 Legendary, 6 Epic, 17 Rare and 16 Common.
Finishers[edit | edit source]
Skydive Emotes[edit | edit source]
Music Pack[edit | edit source]
Loading Screens[edit | edit source]
Voice Lines[edit | edit source]
- "Better to die fighting than to live in fear."
- "I always kill the messenger. It's safer that way."
- "I am more prepared than you know."
- "I'm not paranoid, I'm prepared."
- "I'm watching. I'm always watching."
- "I only trust whom I have to trust. Let's keep it at that."
- "It doesn't matter who I am, only what I can do."
- "It's hard to be scared when you're prepared."
- "It's time. "
- "I will find them, and the truth."
- "Off the grid is the only secure way to go."
- "That's my secret. I'm always ready."
- "They call this place secure? We'll see about that."
- "They'll never catch me. "
- "The truth is out there."
- "What you see is not what you get."
- "With an eye in the sky, there's nothing to fear."
- "You can't hide from your mistakes."
- "You're either ready, or you're an idiot."
- "This is only the beginning. "
- "I'm not a pawn. I'm here to break the game."
- " This may be the last time you compete."
- "Truth is coming, and I won't be stopped."
- "You better hope I find you before they do."
- "We all wear costumes to hide who we are."
- "Joy, cheer; they took that away from me. Now I take it from you."
- "You think you're not being watched right now. Don't be an idiot."
- "I have been through hell to get here. Can you say the same?"
- "I used to fear many things, but that man is gone."
- "I'm here because I have to be. What's your excuse?"
- "If I know who you are, so do they. Break the rules and you're gone."
- "It's easy to get here, harder to walk away."
- "It's easy to run away but you gain nothing."
- "It's very simple. I know more than each of you could possibly imagine."
- "Do not trust what you think you know. "
- "You should be careful. "
- "There's only one thing you need to know to survive, and that's everything."
- "Think you can surprise me? Think again."
- "We are all just data waiting to be deleted."
- "When you have nothing else to lose, it's easy to win."
- "You found me. Now come and get me."
- "You thought you were better than me. Now you know the truth."
- "How do you know this isn't my mask? Trick's on you."
- "Winter may be long, but this journey? That's cut short for you."
- "A lot of people run from something that's not after them, but for you, I was."
- "Access denied."
- "Don't take it personally. They would have gotten to you, one way or another."
- "You can only hide from the inevitable for so long."
- "I cracked your securities and your face."
- "I don't know if you're just bad or an idiot. Either way, you're gone."
- "I knew you'd come after me. That's why I'm still here."
- "I mean this with respect: you're a hack."
- "I never heard of you, and now, no one ever will."
- "I bet you want to know who I really am. I'll tell you the truth: I'm the person who beat you."
- "Sometimes it's hard to run when I'm watching your every move."
- "I've seen target dummies smarter than you."
- "I'm sure you were looking for me. In some small way, you succeeded."
- "It appears that intelligence is just a word to you."
- "It seemed like you zigged, when you should have quit and gone home."
- "I know you wish you knew what I know, but I hope you know that it's just going to make you crazy."
- "It's not your fault, I get it, but this is just the way it goes.
- "I'll make this simple: it's all about the information you have that I want."
- "You really messed up. But what do I know? I'm just a genius."
- "I've been watching you. You're not bad, "
- "You are just a messenger, I get that, "
- "Legend? Heh. Sometimes we are all someone we are not."
- "Only fight the battles you know you can win."
- "How long were you on my tail?
- "Sometimes they catch up to you, sometimes they lose."
- "Sometimes you get tired of running, I understand, but you can't ever stop."
- "They don't know everything, but me? That's how I found you."
- "They-- they did this to both of us."
- "They say knowledge is power, but what you do with it? That's what's important."
- "This wasn't personal, you're just in my way."
- "You can run, you can hide, but you can't escape yourself."
- "You can't hide from your mistakes, I'll find them."
- "You found me. Good eyes. Not as good as mine."
- "You got a bug. Let me fix it."
- "It seems you should have been a bit more careful."
- "You should have been more prepared. I was."
- "No one will find you. You're long off the grid, now."
- "I'm sorry it had to be this way. You're not the one I'm after."
- "I knew you were coming. You're predictable and I'm not."
- "I don't know who you are, and I don't really care. You're going to disappear."
- "You've got to watch your back, you can't trust others to do it for you."
- Thank You
- " "
- You're Welcome
- " "
- "Don't mention it."
- "Wherever we go, I'm ready."
- "Follow me, i'm the jumpmaster"
- Finishing a Squad
- "Full squad deleted."
- New Kill Leader
- "There's a new Kill Leader. "
- "They found a new kill leader."
- Champion eliminated
- "The champion is gone and forgotten."
- Incoming Grenade
- " Grenade."
- Taking Damage
- "Taking fire!"
- "Give me a second, fixing up."
- Got third partied
- " , being attacked by another squad!"
- Inside Airstrike Area
- "Airstrike, move!"
- "Incoming. Get to cover."
- "Airstrike. Bikyuh!"
- Positive Quip
- "Be proud. "
- "That's something i can use"
- As Jumpmaster
- "Just picking a place."
- "How about here?"
- Retracting Ping
- "Forget that."
- Pinging Location
- "Relocating over there. "
- Pinging Activity
- "They've made their way here before us."
- Pinging Enemy
- "Enemy agent, right here."
- "Enemy agent over there. "
- "Enemy over there."
- "Got one, right here."
- "I see an enemy over there."
- "I see one of them. "
- "One of them's right here."
- "They're far, I see one."
- "Ya, enemy spotted."
- Activating Surveillance Drone
- "Putting my eye in the sky."
- "Switching to drone view. Watch my back."
- "The all-seeing eye."
- Logging Off Surveillance Drone
- "Backing out of my drone, I'm good to go."
- "Logged off my drone."
- Recalling Surveillance Drone
- "Recalling my drone."
- "Signalling my drone back."
- Surveillance Drone Destroyed
- "My drone has been destroyed."
- "Someone destroyed my drone!"
- Activating Drone EMP
- "Activating hardware reboot."
- "Making them reboot"
History[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Crypto was teased for an entire season before his official reveal:
- Crypto's first appearance was in the trailer for Season 2, where he was responsible for destroying the Repulsor tower.
- Crypto was the source of several 'glitches' in Kings Canyon, including distorted lines from the announcer and hacked banner displays showing his attempts to get login information.
- Crypto appeared in an inaccessible room behind glass in Singh Labs, getting info on the space elevator at World's Edge. When a player got near, he and his drone would flee.
- Crypto shows his opinions about the other Legends very clearly in coded messages/letters to Mystik, his former caretaker:
- He shows a strong disliking for Mirage, despite acknowledging Mystik's adoration for him. He finds Mirage too cocky and an idiot.
- He assumes Caustic is nothing more than a sociopath and seems to avoid him out of intimidation.
- He thought nothing of Gibraltar, but upon closer inspection, found him to be one of the few with morals.
- Crypto's logo appears in "Voidwalker" when an alternate Wraith hacks into an abandoned IMC base.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
A coded message from Crypto to Mystik.
Concept art of Crypto.
Concept art for the drone.
Concept art for the drone's remote.
References[edit | edit source]