|Plasma fueled EMG
||Light machine gun
|Rate of Fire
The L-STAR EMG is a Plasma fueled light machine gun added in Season 2 that uses Energy Ammo.
It has a unique overheating mechanic, which triggers "overheat" after 23 continuous shots (27 with Modded Loader) but can otherwise be used as long as you have required ammo.
- Low Profile Legends[note 2]
- Fortified Legends[note 3]
- 2× headshot multiplier.
- High damage per shot.
- High fire rate.
- Overheat mechanic allows use without reloading if fired in bursts.
- Large projectiles.
- Low projectile drop.
- Projectiles can make it difficult for your target to see.
- Projectiles will open doors if they impact with the handle.
- Overheats after 23 shots (27 with Rampart's Modded Loader.)
- Limited attachments. Can only accept optics and Standard Stocks.
- Does not support Extended Energy Mags due to lacking a magazine; no way to extend its 23-27 shot sustained fire limit.
- High recoil, with no Barrel Stabilizer compatibility.
- Slow projectile speed.
- Projectile effects and muzzle flash can make it difficult to track targets.
- Slow movement speed while aiming down sights.
- Is the only weapon in the game to provide no ammo to the player when picked up, due to having no magazine.
- 1× headshot multiplier at 64+ meters.
There are a total of 52 weapon skins for the L-STAR EMG; 10 Legendary, 5 Epic, 21 Rare and 16 Common.
- The name stands for LaSTimosa ARmory Energy Machine Gun but the model used in the Apex Games was made by Wonyeon Interstellar. This might explain the initial difference in behavior between the Titanfall 2 and Apex Legends' version of the L-STAR but with the rework of the weapon that came with Season 4, they now function the same.
- As seen in the trailer, the original L-STAR was supposed to have a 60 round magazine, and it would have fired 30 shots before overheating. However, most likely due to game balance, the capacity of the mag at launch was reduced to 40, and it overheated after firing 21-22 shots.
- April 07, 2020 Patch
- L-STAR will reset its viewkick pattern much more quickly to avoid horizontal recoil feeling like it goes in an unpredictable direction while feathering the trigger.
- Reduced time before overheat from 2.4 to 2.2 (25 shots to 23 shots).
- March 03, 2020 Patch
- Red dot has been added to the iron sights; iron sights dot will stay properly centered during weapon sway and bob movements.
- Reduced the intensity of muzzle flash while aiming down the sight.
- February 04, 2020 Patch
- No longer a care package weapon and now uses energy ammo.
- Reloading has been removed and the L-STAR will overheat after a sustained fire so best to fire in short bursts to reduce overheating and recoil.
- Damage reduced per shot from 19 to 18
- Rate of Fire decreased from 12 to 10
- Less horizontal viewkick when the weapon fires.
- November 05, 2019 Patch
- Increased projectile width.
- October 01, 2019 Patch
- Reduced damage from 21 to 19.
- Substantial reduction to horizontal recoil.
- Now comes equipped with 1x Digital Threat optic.
- July 02, 2019 Patch
Concept Art for the L-STAR EMG by Ryan Lastimosa.