|Real Name||Dr. Mary Somers|
|Tactical Ability||Gravity Lift|
|Ultimate Ability||Black Hole|
|Voice Actor||Elle Newlands|
Biography[edit | edit source]
Almost a century ago, the Outlands were dangling on the edge of a cataclysmic energy crisis. Dr. Mary Somers, a charmingly eccentric astrophysicist, was hired to find a solution. Mary moved her family to the scientific research station on Olympus and set to work.
With the help of her apprentice, Dr. Reid, Mary discovered Branthium - an element she was convinced could be the key to limitless energy. But Branthium can be found only on the accretion disk of a black hole, so Mary and Dr. Reid departed on a dangerous mission to prove her theory right.
Mary promised her son Newton she’d return safe and sound. But Dr. Reid betrayed her, stealing the Branthium and sending her shuttle into the black hole’s orbit. Using her wits, Mary modified her robotic vacuum companion N.E.W.T. to escape. But time moves differently on the outskirts of a black hole, and she was 87 years too late.
Now Mary is determined to fund her research to find a way to go back in time and be with her son. She joins the Apex Games as Horizon, master of gravity, just in time for the next season to debut on Olympus - where her old life once was and where she had promised to return.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Gravity Lift[edit | edit source]
|Description||Reverses the flow of gravity, lifting players upward and boosting them outward when they exit.|
- Lifts players up to 30 meters off the ground.
- Stays active for 10 seconds.
- Aside from helping your squad reach high ground, you can also use it to disorient enemies by throwing it under their feet.
Spacewalk[edit | edit source]
|Description||Increase air control and reduce fall impacts with Horizon’s custom spacesuit.|
- When landing after a fall from a high place, Horizon can start moving sooner than every other legend.
Black Hole[edit | edit source]
|Charge time||120 seconds|
|Description||Deploy N.E.W.T. to create a micro black hole that pulls players in towards it, and hits them with a graviton blast at the end.|
- Lasts 12 seconds.
- N.E.W.T. has 200 HP and can be destroyed.
- Enemies are highlighted if their position is behind the N.E.W.T.
- Pulls enemies even from behind obstacles such as walls and doors.
Cosmetic Items[edit | edit source]
Skins[edit | edit source]
There are a total of 44 Legend skins for Horizon; 5 Legendary, 5 Epic, 18 Rare and 16 Common.
- Included in the Horizon Launch Bundle.
Badges[edit | edit source]
Finishers[edit | edit source]
All Charged Up
Skydive Emotes[edit | edit source]
Holo-Sprays[edit | edit source]
Music Packs[edit | edit source]
Loading Screens[edit | edit source]
Voice Lines[edit | edit source]
- "Time for experimentation, evaluation and a wee cup of tea."
- "C'mon little Newtie, we've got work to do."
- "Fancy a bit of a ?"
- "Things look to get a mite troublesome."
- "Science time! Ooh, !"
- "In the name of science!"
- "Repulsors, check. Stabilisers, check. Best buddy, check."
- "Let's have a wee play with the laws of physics, shall we?"
- "Everyone forgets to look up. You lot are so… terrestrial."
- "You ready for a wee adventure, N.E.W.T?"
- "Time for bold action!"
- "Right dears, time for a bit of a float."
- "When you're a master of black holes, relativity becomes… well, relative."
- "Science dinnae sleep, and neither do we, right N.E.W.T?"
- "Safety first, dearies, and then, of course, utter mayhem."
- "Be right with you dears."
- "Och aye, there's research afoot!"
- "Don't watch, wee N.E.W.T. Yer maw's about to get a little unladylike."
- "Ach, . ‘Cause I’m the best. Got N.E.W.T. on my side!"
- "I survived being swallowed by the dark heart of the universe, so you lot seem a wee bit quaint to me."
- "If not even light can escape the event horizon, how do you think you’ll escape me?"
- "I’ll put the kettle on for any survivors. So… just me and N.E.W.T., then?"
- "Violence for science! Oh, quite the catchphrase, that!"
- "Anyone else wielding the unfathomable cosmic power of a singularity? Anyone? No? Just checking."
- "Och, I love field work. !"
- "Data points often don’t land where you expect them to. Best prepare yourselves."
- "Don’t take what follows too personally, my darlings. Me and Newtie just need to find a way home."
- "I expect the results of this will be utterly delightful."
- "In the barracks we’re pals. In the Games… well, you’re research data waiting to be collected."
- "So, is anyone else here technically over 100 years old? Wait… some of you are? I’m right at home then!"
- "Och, it’s not me you’ve got to worry about. It’s wee Newtie I’d watch out for."
- "Oh, I’m sorry dear. The statistics just don’t favour you."
- "Ooh, could get messy, I’m afraid."
- "Particle colliders or R301s. They both split atoms if you ask me."
- "Strap in, Newtie. Things are about to get mighty interesting."
- "This isn’t between you and me. It’s between you and a promise I mean to keep."
- "Time to introduce a lil’ chaos to my research."
- "What happens in the Games stays in the Games, right loves? Always a cuppa at mine for anyone who wants it."
- "Ya cannae outplay the Law of Large Numbers."
- "Oh no! Did that hurt, darlin'?"
- "Ach, ya ."
- "Ah, well that was a little careless of ya, love."
- "Better luck next time, ya delightful wee corpse, ye."
- "Between friends, dear, ya always struck me as a wee bit dim."
- "Dinnae fear, for now ya face the other side. Take a wee rest."
- "Dinnae take it personal dear. I’ve got me a promise to keep."
- "Don’t go makin’ that face at me. You know full well you signed up for this."
- "Don’t worry, pet. Me and N.E.W.T’ll have a wee teensy baby in your honour."
- "Failin’ means you’re playin’, love."
- "Fear not, love. I’ll inform your next of kin."
- "Here now, let me help you over the horizon."
- "I mean, can ya really call it a god complex if I actually do have the power to flatten an entire galaxy in my backpack?"
- "I’m awfully sorry, pet, but just what exactly was your name, again?"
- "I’m not tryin’ t’say you weren’t a challenge, but this one time I kinda bested a black hole, so…"
- "Just a wee bit of a beatin’ before breakfast, lovie."
- "Now how are we supposed to test our equipment if people keep expiring on us, N.E.W.T?"
- "Och I’m sorry love. Were you saying something?"
- "Och, but you were so close, darlin’."
- "Och, dinnae worry, petal. I won’t tell anyone about this."
- "Och, don’t make that face, dearie. Some things are just inevitable, and in your case, a wee bit embarrassing."
- "Och, no, don’t feel so bad. I can tell you tried your best."
- "Oh dearie, it just wasn’t your day."
- "Oh, hush now, don’t say a word."
- "Oh love, what made you think you’d walk away from this?"
- "Oh no, you look a right jobbie."
- "Oh shush now, dear. It wasnae in vain. You’ve helped me and N.E.W.T. get a little closer to home."
- "Oh well, doin’ your best is what counts, right dear?"
- "Oh, well, sometimes it’s just lovely to get some air, right?"
- "Perhaps the better choice for you might’ve been a wee day in the library."
- "Shh, rest now, love. Ya earned it."
- "That wasn’t a bad effort. Sometimes participation is the most important thing."
- "There’s a vast and densely populated universe between how good you think you are and how good you actually are."
- "Well that was a classic case of foolish right there, I’m afraid."
- "Well what were you doing? Traipsing around with your kilt over your noggin?"
- "Well what’d ya think would happen? I’m literally carrying around a singularity."
- "Well, I guess you picked the wrong time to blink."
- "Well, I suppose I would have underestimated me, too."
- "Well, someone’s a wee bit ."
- "You’re lookin’ a bit there. Can I suggest a nap?"
- I'm Jumpmaster
- "Jumpmaster here. As above, so below."
- "We're Jumpmaster, Newtie. Just like old times."
- "Jumpmaster. Not my first launch, though I usually launch in the other direction."
- Opening fire on the enemy
- "We're shootin'."
- "Pullin' the trigger."
- Downed an enemy
- "Enemy downed."
- "They went straight down."
- "Got 'em."
- Consecutively downed another enemy
- "Another hooligan's down."
- "Aye, we downed another."
- Enemy killed
- "Enemy removed from the data pool."
- Whole Squad down
- "All those hooligans are down for the count."
- "All those are down for the count."
- "All those numpties are down for the count."
- "And that was the last one."
- "No more numpties. We built 'em tougher in my day."
- Another Squad attacking
- "We've got another squad on us."
- "Another squad's poppin' our heads in."
- Taking damage
- " are shooting at me!"
- "They're shooting at me!"
- I'm down
- "Me and N.E.W.T. are down!"
- Throwing ordnances
- "Tossin' a thermite."
- "Flingin' an arc star."
- "Grenade deployed."
- "Thermite out."
- Incoming grenade
- "Frag grenade!"
- "On your feet, darlin'. Plenty of fight left in you."
- "Plenty of fight left in you, see."
- "It's just a wee scratch, dear."
- Healing up / Recharging shield
- "Shield's recharging."
- "Recharging my shield."
- "Just a tick, healing up."
- "Recharging my shields."
- Being Respawned
- "Back from a wee kip."
- "I'm back, dears! Guess it was only a flesh wound."
- Squadmate killed
- "Uh-oh, our colleague's down."
- Entering Trident, driver
- "Hop in the Trident. Places to go, people to shoot."
- "Come on, dearies, let's take this Trident into low orbit. Uh, really low orbit."
- "Goin' for a ride."
- Entering Trident, passenger
- "Save me a seat, dears. Preferably one with a bum warmer."
- "I'm joinin' ye."
- Exiting Trident
- "Jumping out here. Watch out for bahookie burn, N.E.W.T."
- "Jumping out here. Watch out for friction burn, N.E.W.T."
- "Exiting here."
- One minute before nearby ring closure, in squad
- "The ring's our neighbor, pals, and we've got a minute to find her."
- 30 seconds before nearby ring closure, in squad
- "Eyes sharp, the ring's near and closing in 30."
- Inside next Ring
- "Keep calm, dearies. We're already inside the next ring."
- Outside Ring
- "Not to be pernickety, dears, but the ring's on the move and we're not inside her yet."
- Pinging location in Dropship
- "Aye, ."
- Canceled Ping
- "Ooh, never mind, darlings."
- "Pay that no mind."
- "Classic human error, that one."
- Pinging location
- "Fancy a wee stroll this way?"
- "Shall we head this way?"
- "Reckon we should head here."
- "Let's shift our orbits that way."
- "Best bounce our bums this way."
- "This way, ya ken?"
- Defending over here
- "Here's the perfect spot to defend from."
- "Let's prep to defend here."
- Attacking here
- "Going supernova here, dears."
- Watching here
- "Here's the perfect spot for a wee watchin'."
- "Uh, dibs dear."
- "Me n' N.E.W.T could use that."
- Location Compromised / Someone's been here
- "Bunch of beasties have been here."
- "Bunch of have been here."
- "Hooligans have been here."
- Looting over here
- "I'm going to make like a black hole and loot this area. That's… not exactly how black holes work, but…"
- "C'mon, N.E.W.T., let's go loot!"
- Pinging enemy
- "Spotted a wee hooligan."
- "Spotted what we science folk call a baddie."
- "Oh my, an enemy!"
- "Enemy rather close."
- "We've got a bad guy, they're close."
- "Spotted an enemy over there."
- "A wee numpty right here!"
- "Numpty in our orbit!"
- "Enemy here!"
- "Got an eedjit here!"
- "Hooligan on top of us!"
- "Watch out dears, baddie nearby!"
- "Bad guy outside our orbit."
- "Numpty there. This could get interesting."
- "Sturdy lookin' fence here, dears."
- "One of our traps here. Someone's in for a delightful surprise."
- "Got a health drone here."
- "Jump Pad here. That's one way to get airborne…"
- "Wee Drone here, up close n' personal"
- "Black Market here."
- "Got us a Turret here, dears."
- "Got a barrier here."
- "Totem here. I can feel energy pulsing off of it..."
- "Portal here. Ugh, never liked those things."
- "That'd be a portal."
- "Gravity lift here. Fine piece of tech, that."
- "Black hole here. Might want to take a wide berth."
- Charge Tower
- "Charge tower here. Fascinating technology, that."
- Mobile Respawn Beacon
- "Behold, the humble mobile respawn beacon!"
- [Quip] Celebration
- "Brilliant, brilliant!"
- "Pure dead brilliant!"
- "Ho ho, pure delight."
- "Ho ho, fan-dabby-dozy."
- Activating Gravity Lift
- "Up and away, Newtie."
- "How about a wee pick-me-up?"
- " , here's a pick-me-up!"
- "I think we could all use a pick-me-up."
- "Aaand up!"
- "Just need a wee pick-me-up."
- "Anyone need a pick-me-up?"
- Activating Black Hole
- "What’s a wee singularity between friends?"
- "Wanna see my singularity?"
- "Singularity deployed. Mind your car keys."
- "Unleashing my singularity."
- Spacewalk triggered
- "Another soft landing."
- "Thanks, jump jets!"
- Silenced by Silence
- "Cannae activate my abilities."
- "I'm in a wee snafu with my abilities."
- "Air strike! Keep movin' or we're haggis!"
- First blood
- "Oh, first blood. Well, can't solve the eternal mysteries of the universe without breaking a few eggs."
- Half the squads remain
- "We're in the top half! Couldn't have done it without ya, pals."
- One squad left
- "Just the one squad left, pals."
- Rift Aftermath
- "A lassie gets lost in space for only a wee century and look at the mess that befalls her home. By the stars, N.E.W.T, what happened here?"
- Olympus, unclear location
- "You'd be surprised what cosmic mysteries fall fully solved into your lap while mindlessly strollin' with a cuppa tea. I call it the Peppermint Paradox. I changed the world right here, Newtie. Every world."
- Hammond Labs
- "Ach, Hammond Labs. Or as they were called in my day, Mary's Madhouse. Or was it 'For the love of God, Mary, go home and get some sleep'? Heh, I forget."
- "Oh, the number of times I'd find Newton hidin' out here, running from crop to crop. I could never tell what was more dangerous; the automated harvesters… or his hay fever. Wee soul."
- Lab Annex
- "And here we have… oh… not my old apartment. It was here, Newtie… before they put up a landing pad. Ah, wasnae so much air traffic back then."
- "Oh sure, the Marina's got more bells and whistles since my day, but I ask ye - did he really know what any of these fancy readings actually mean?
- Landing Pier
- "When Newton was a wee wain, he'd love watching the supply ships flyin' through here. Hard to believe that was nearly a century ago."
History[edit | edit source]
Development[edit | edit source]
- Originally, Horizon was a character named Downfall (subtitle: "Populist Pyromaniac"), who was an evil genius CEO-type similar to Lex Luthor, and had abilities based around fire. Her design and story drastically changed over the course of development.
- Horizon's character was created by the Respawn writer Sam Gill who wrote all her dialogue. Her short "Promise" was written by Amanda Doiron, and it was one of the first things she wrote when she started at Respawn.
- Horizon is named after Mary Somerville.
[edit | edit source]
- In "The Broken Ghost" quest, Ash recites some lines from Horizon. Lifeline comments Ash "tried to be a 'wee bit' Scottish."
- At the end of the Season 6 gameplay trailer, Kuben Blisk says "Something big is on the horizon."
- On October 13, 2020, the first set of gravity lifts, that were placed around Kings Canyon and World's Edge at the start of Season 6, began to activate. Horizon asks the player to meet her in the Firing Range to do some tests for her. After completing the "A Wee Experiment" challenges, Horizon introduces herself as Dr. Mary Somers, a.k.a. Horizon. The player is given the Horizon's Test Subject badge.
- On the same day, the Apex Legends Champion Edition Trailer was released which teases a new Legend for Season 7 and Horizon's silhouette. When the trailer promotes "9 Unlocked Legends," Horizon can be seen on the banners in the background.
- On October 19th, 2020, the Apex Legends Twitter account tweeted a transmission from Horizon of her saying "branthium" (which was also mentioned by Ash at the end of "The Broken Ghost").
- On October 21st, 2020, the Apex Legends Twitter account tweeted another transmission from Horizon. This time she says "...a wee bit of betrayal...eh, dearie? I was so daft." (These lines were said by Ash at the end of "The Broken Ghost".)
- On October 23rd, 2020, the Apex Legends Twitter account tweeted a third transmission from Horizon. She reveals that she is on a ship and has been off-world for 5 months but is scared to do the math for how long that would mean back home (due to time dilation). She is working on how to fuse the branthium without critical mass. She also wonders what "he" is doing.
- On October 26th, 2020, "Promise" was released.
- On October 28th, 2020, the Season 7 Launch Trailer was released.
- On October 30th, 2020, the Season 7 Gameplay Trailer was released.
Speculation[edit | edit source]
- In "The First Ship" quest, Blisk tells Ash that an old friend of hers is back, which is speculated to be Horizon given that Ash knows Horizon.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Horizon is Scottish.
- Horizon was cast off in the ergosphere of a black hole for at least 87 Olympus years, but for her it was only 246 days.
- Horizon authored an academic writing named "Utilization of Hyperdense Matter Extracted from Black Hole Ergosphere". A page of it can be partially seen on Wattson's desk.
- Horizon's black hole ability is similar to the Gravity Star from Titanfall 2.
- Horizon's drone NEWT is seemingly named after her son Newton. She sometimes talks to her drone as if it is her son.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]