|“||Being an Apex Legend takes courage, strength, and confidence... or as some call it, 'Just being Gibraltar' heh heh... We all put passion in our matches and fight like each day depends on it; my work with S.A.R.A.S. taught me that. You need to love what you do, care about what you do, and believe in your ability to do what you do; my parents taught me that. Finally, brothas, trust in those around you, protect those around you, and never forget that no matter how big you are, the world is always bigger; the Apex Games taught me that. Let's go change a life!
|Real Name||Makoa Gibraltar|
|Weight||265 lbs (120 kg)|
|Height||6'4" (193 cm)|
|Tactical Ability||Dome of Protection|
|Passive Ability||Gun Shield|
|Ultimate Ability||Defensive Bombardment|
|Voice Actor||Branscombe Richmond|
Gibraltar is a legend that is free and unlocked in the base game.
Gibraltar is a Defensive Legend able to endure a lot of damage. His abilities allow him to take the brunt of enemy attacks with his Gun Shield and protect the squad with his Dome of Protection, this coupled with Defensive Bombardment allow him to do damage to enemies while giving his squad time to rest up and heal.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Gibraltar is a gentle giant with a wild side. The son of two S.A.R.A.S. (Search and Rescue Association of Solace) volunteers, he has always been skilled at getting others out of dangerous situations that are common in the Outlands. However, he only began to understand the value of protecting others when he and his boyfriend stole his father's motorcycle, took it on a joyride, and got trapped by a deadly mudslide. His parents saved them, and his father lost an arm in the process. Gibraltar has never forgotten that sacrifice and has devoted his life to helping those in need.
The Apex Games didn't change that, but they changed what it meant. Many of Gibraltar's friends and colleagues have competed in the Games for extra money, fame, and glory over the years, and some never came home. Gibraltar joined to keep them safe and, for the first time, his skills as a rescuer and his rebellious nature worked together. He's now become an icon in the Apex Games, putting himself in the line of fire to protect his squad and send his opponents running for cover.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Dome of Protection[edit | edit source]
|Dome of Protection|
|Description||Throw down a dome-shield that blocks attacks for 18 seconds. Healing items are 25% faster within the dome.|
- Throws a large disc, which upon landing projects a dome shield around it. The dome has a radius of 6 meters and lasts 18 seconds.
- The shield stops all incoming and outgoing bullets and projectiles, while allowing players to move through it.
- While inside the dome, all consumable healing items ( Syringes, Shield Cells, etc.) take 3/4ths as long to use. Take note that enemies can also do this while inside your dome.
- Each consumable item's use time is reduced as follows:
- The dome blocks line of sight for things like Wattson's Perimeter Security or Crypto's Neurolink.
- If you have a downed teammate and are being rushed, throw down your ultimate and then your shield. Revive and heal in your shield.
- If an enemy squad is firing at you and your team, throw the shield down. It will block their bullets allowing you and your squad to escape. Combining the shield with Defensive Bombardment can be very helpful, and can also up the "Damage Absorbed" shield stat.
- The shield is not a complete bubble and depending on the terrain it can have its weak spots.
- No shots come in, no shots come out.
- Try not to use it if you don’t have to, it easily gives your position away to be sniped when the shield is down.
Gun Shield[edit | edit source]
|Description||Aiming down sights deploys a gun shield that blocks incoming fire.|
- While aiming, Gibraltar will have an energy shield in front of him with 75 health that protects his upper body from incoming fire while allowing him to shoot out.
- The shield can be disabled by pressing H//.
- Once broken, the shield has a long cooldown. It may be regenerated quicker by using Shield Cells or Shield Batteries.
- The health of the energy shield can be seen on both the left and right sides while aiming down sights. The cooldown meter can also be seen refilling the 1-8 bars of energy meter.
- The shield deflects Arc Stars launched against Gibraltar.
- The shield can sometimes make it easier to spot Gibraltar while he is hiding, so it may be worth disabling temporarily if you're pretty sure you're otherwise hidden.
Defensive Bombardment[edit | edit source]
|Charge time||180 seconds|
|Description||Call in a concentrated mortar strike on a marked position.|
- Throws a smoke grenade that marks a 24 meter radius around it for a mortar strike.
- For 6 seconds, explosives continuously rain down on the area, dealing 40 damage per hit and shell-shocking players.
- The area is clearly marked for all players with red circles indicating where mortar shells will hit.
- This ability also damages you so use it with caution.
- This ability is a nice support; if enemies are hiding, it can drive them out of cover and into an easier line of fire. It can also be used as an attack or a defensive ability.
- You can call it inside your own shield to temporize and give you few seconds of rest, as enemies will be unable to come inside. Use this time to revive, heal, reload, or run away.
- Wattson's Interception Pylon can negate a sizable area of the bombardment. Try to use the ability after it's been destroyed.
Fortified[edit | edit source]
|Description||Reduces damage taken by 15%|
- Take 15% less damage from every attack.
- Fortified Legends now immune to slow effects from weapon fire.
- Don't overestimate this ability, 15% less damage generally translates to surviving 1 more shot.
- The combination of Gibraltar's Gun shield and this perk allows him to tank a lot of damage.
Cosmetic items[edit | edit source]
Skins[edit | edit source]
There are a total of 49 legend skins for Gibraltar; 9 Legendary, 5 Epic, 19 Rare and 16 Common.
Finishers[edit | edit source]
Force of Gravity
Skydive Emotes[edit | edit source]
Music Packs[edit | edit source]
Loading Screens[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Dome of Protection
- Players in the Dome Shield use healing items 25% faster.
- Increased the throw distance by 60%.
- Increased cooldown from 20 seconds to 30 seconds.
- Defensive Bombardment
- Decreased cooldown from 4.5 minutes to 3 minutes.
- Decreased duration from 8 seconds to 6 seconds.
- Increased throw distance by 36%.
- Fixed a bug where activating a healing item would cancel the Ultimate for Legends that need to prime it.
- Now reduces damage taken by 15%
- Now grants immunity to slow effects from weapon fire.
- Dome of Protection: Increased the duration by 3 seconds.
- Gun Shield: Fixed the bug that allowed players to stick objects to the shield. It will now also deflect Arc Stars.
- Fortified Passive Perk added: reduces damage taken by 10%.
- Gun Shield: Health increased from 50 to 75.
- Adjusted the hitbox for Gibraltar to better align with his shape.
- Adjusted the hitbox for Gibraltar to better align with his shape.
- Defensive Bombardment: Fixed a bug where teammates are not affected by Shell Shock. This was meant to be the same as Bangalore's ultimate.
- Gun Shield: Patched up the hole we found in Gibraltar’s shield.
- Fixed issue with Gibraltar Epic skins on Xbox One causing crashes.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Gibraltar's cultural background draws from the entirety of Polynesia, especially from Hawaiian, Samoan, and Māori culture. His melee weapon is a patu, a type of war club used by the Māori.
Videos[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Concept art of the Dome of Protection's projector disc.
References[edit | edit source]