|“||Being an Apex Legend takes courage, strength, and confidence... or as some call it, 'Just being Gibraltar' heh heh... We all put passion in our matches and fight like each day depends on it; my work with S.A.R.A.S. taught me that. You need to love what you do, care about what you do, and believe in your ability to do what you do; my parents taught me that. Finally, brothas, trust in those around you, protect those around you, and never forget that no matter how big you are, the world is always bigger; the Apex Games taught me that. Let's go change a life!|
|Real Name||Makoa Gibraltar|
|Weight||292 lbs (132 kg)|
|Height||6'5" (196 cm)|
|Tactical Ability||Dome of Protection|
|Passive Ability||Gun Shield|
|Ultimate Ability||Defensive Bombardment|
|Voice Actor||Branscombe Richmond|
Gibraltar is a legend that is free and unlocked in the base game.
Gibraltar is a Defensive Legend able to endure a lot of damage. His abilities allow him to take the brunt of enemy attacks with his Gun Shield and protect the squad with his Dome of Protection, this coupled with Defensive Bombardment allows him to do damage to enemies while giving his squad time to rest up and heal.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Gibraltar is a gentle giant with a wild side. The son of two S.A.R.A.S. (Search and Rescue Association of Solace) volunteers, he has always been skilled at getting others out of dangerous situations that are common in the Outlands. However, he only began to understand the value of protecting others when he and his boyfriend Nikolas stole his father's motorcycle, took it on a joyride, and got trapped by a deadly mudslide. His parents saved them, and his father lost an arm in the process. Gibraltar has never forgotten that sacrifice and has devoted his life to helping those in need.
The Apex Games didn't change that, but they changed what it meant. Many of Gibraltar's friends and colleagues have competed in the Games for extra money, fame, and glory over the years, and some never came home. Gibraltar joined to keep them safe and, for the first time, his skills as a rescuer and his rebellious nature worked together. He's now become an icon in the Apex Games, putting himself in the line of fire to protect his squad and send his opponents running for cover.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Dome of Protection[edit | edit source]
|Dome of Protection|
|Description||Throw down a dome-shield that blocks attacks for 12 seconds. Healing items are 15% faster within the dome.|
- Throws a large disc, which upon landing projects a dome shield around it. The dome has a radius of 6 meters and lasts 12 seconds.
- The shield stops all incoming and outgoing bullets and projectiles while allowing players to move through it.
- While inside a dome, all consumable healing items ( Syringes, Shield Cells, etc.) are used 15% faster.
- Also, Gibraltar revives allies in only 4 seconds while inside his dome, faster than the normal 5 seconds.
- Each consumable item's use time is reduced as follows:
- The dome blocks line of sight for things like Wattson's Perimeter Security or Crypto's Neurolink.
- If you have a downed teammate and are being rushed, throw down your ultimate and then your shield. Revive and heal in your shield.
- If an enemy squad is firing at you and your team, throw the shield down. It will block their bullets allowing you and your squad to escape. Combining the shield with Defensive Bombardment can be very helpful, and can also up the "Damage Absorbed" shield stat.
- The shield is not a complete bubble and depending on the terrain it can have its weak spots.
- No shots come in, no shots come out.
- Try not to use it if you don’t have to, it easily gives your position away to get sniped when the shield is down.
- If someone exits the dome in the middle of using a health kit, the use time will revert to normal, but the UI progress bar will still move faster and end early as though the buff was still active.
Gun Shield[edit | edit source]
|Description||Aiming down sights deploys a gun shield that blocks incoming fire.|
- While aiming, Gibraltar will have an energy shield in front of him with 50 health that protects his upper body from incoming fire while allowing him to shoot out.
- The shield can be disabled by pressing H//.
- If broken, it has a 9-second cooldown before regenerating.
- The health of the energy shield can be seen on both the left and right sides while aiming down sights. The cooldown meter can also be seen refilling the 1-8 bars of energy meter.
- The shield can sometimes make it easier to spot Gibraltar while he is hiding, so it may be worth disabling temporarily if you're pretty sure you're otherwise hidden.
- Crouching while using your gun shield makes you a hard target to do damage to from the front.
- Activating the gun shield during a sniper fight often grants you the upper hand.
- A player who uses Gibraltar’s Gun Shield to aim down sights at an Arc Stars or a Frag Grenades will be completely protected from taking any damage. Their Gun Shield will also not take any damage at all from the explosion. This has always been unclear whether this is an intentional feature to Gun Shield or simply a bug.
Defensive Bombardment[edit | edit source]
|Charge time||270 seconds|
|Description||Call in a concentrated mortar strike on a marked position.|
- Throws a smoke grenade that marks a 24-meter radius around it for a mortar strike.
- For 6 seconds, explosives continuously rain down on the area, dealing 40 damage per hit and shell-shocking players.
- The area is marked for all players with red circles indicating where mortar shells will hit.
- This ability also damages you so use it with caution.
- This ability is nice for support; if enemies are hiding, it can drive them out of cover and into an easier line of fire. It can also be used as an attack or a defensive ability.
- You can call it inside your shield to temporize and give you few seconds of rest, as enemies will be unable to come inside. Use this time to revive, heal, reload, or run away.
- Use this ability to finish off enemies you downed from a distance.
- Wattson's Interception Pylon can negate a sizable area of the bombardment. Try to use the ability after it's been destroyed.
Fortified[edit | edit source]
|Description||Incoming damage reduced by 15%. Not slowed by bullets.|
- Take 15% less damage from every attack.
- Fortified Legends now immune to slow effects from weapon fire.
- Don't overestimate this ability, 15% less damage generally translates to surviving 1 more shot.
- The combination of Gibraltar's Gun shield and this perk allows him to tank a lot of damage.
Cosmetic items[edit | edit source]
Skins[edit | edit source]
There are a total of 55 legend skins for Gibraltar; 13 Legendary, 5 Epic, 21 Rare and 16 Common.
Finishers[edit | edit source]
Force of Gravity
Badges[edit | edit source]
Skydive Emotes[edit | edit source]
Music Packs[edit | edit source]
Loading Screens[edit | edit source]
Voice Lines[edit | edit source]
- "Alright, pal, let's go change a life."
- "Come and get it."
- "The ring is one hell of a beast."
- "I'm here to watch your back, brudda."
- "(laughs) this is gonna be fun."
- "It's you and me, brudda.
- "I'm ready for whatever today brings."
- "Come on, we got this, we got this."
- "The match is on, let's do this, brudda."
- "Ready to go."
- "Hey now, I didn't ask to be the best; I worked for it."
- "The important thing is not to die."
- "I'm good at what I do, believe me."
- "Time to end this. "
- "Let's go get the job done. "
- "They're not gonna know what hit'em."
- "I can't wait to get down there and do a job."
- "Hey, challengers, you better watch out for me."
- "Hehe, today is gonna be our day."
- "Just give me a shot and I'll shine like the sun."
- "It's Opening season."
- "Maybe you should take that costume off brudda, Legends don't pretend."
- "Hey there, warm up! It's gonna be a long winter."
- "Good luck, brothas."
- "(laughs) I just do the job."
- "What can I say? I love what I do."
- "My shield, my life."
- "Hey, try and move me, it'll be fun."
- "You see me, you're pow, finished."
- "Come on, step up."
- "Hey, Gibraltar's comin' for ya."
- "Hoho - Great. Good. Wonderful."
- "Here we go! Better hope you're with me."
- "This is gonna hurt you more than me. (laughs)"
- "I'm not hard to miss and I don't miss."
- "I'm like a rock, but rocks don't hit back. (laughs)"
- "I'm ready, are you?"
- "Knock knock! Gibraltar's at the door! (laughs)"
- "Win? Against me? (laughs)"
- "That was all I needed, brudda."
- "Awesome battle, maybe next time."
- "It is an awesome feeling to win!"
- "Hey, I really know how to bring the fun into this."
- "Bye, brother, see you later."
- "I can't help but to compliment myself. (laughs)"
- "Hey, just Gibraltar getting the job done."
- "Ah yes, Gibraltar wins again (laughs)"
- "Hey, that was a good match, brudda."
- "(laughs) I got you."
- "I brought it, you didn't."
- "(laughs) some call it luck, I call it skill."
- "I said it and I believe it, I'm winning today."
- "It's all in the attitude and I got a lot of it."
- "It's just my skill, can't help it."
- "Hey, you just got it handed to you, brudda, nice try."
- "Brudda, this just wasn't your fight."
- "You have some skill, keep at, so I can beat you again."
- "Looks like my training paid off."
- "This is my favorite part."
- "Never turn your back on Gibraltar."
- "Not today, maybe tomorrow."
- Down an enemy
- "One Down."
- Killed the last enemy from Squad
- "That's it Brothas! Whole squad dropped."
- "We finished the squad. That's how you get the job done. (laugh)"
- Being Respawned
- "Haha, here comes Gibraltar!"
- "Here comes Gibraltar!"
- "I am back in action boys. Let's do this brothas!"
- Teammate banner grabbed
- "Brotha's banner in hand."
- "Hey we got our brotha's banner."
- "Gotta heal - takin' a knee."
- "Recharging shields."
- One enemy squad left, in squad
- "One more Squad left."
- Taking Damage
- "I'm getting shot."
- "Taking fire, brothas."
- "Hey, I'm gettin' shot!"
- Reviving Squadmate
- "Let's check out this way."
- "I say we move this way."
- "Let's go here."
- "Brothas, let's move this way."
- "Heads up - check out this way."
- "Heard that."
- "Copy that."
- Cancel Ping
- "I need it."
- You're Welcome
- "You got it, brotha!"
- [to Revenant] "Coming from you, brah, that's downright polite."
- [to Revenant] "Hey, turn that frown upside down."
- [to Revenant] "Woohoo! Turn that frown, upside down."
- Watching here
- "Watch this spot."
- "May be someone here. Watching it."
- "Gonna watch this spot. No one's getting by me."
- Defending over here
- "Gonna defend this area. They'll run when they see me."
- "Holding this place down."
- "Defending this area."
- "Locking down this area."
- Attacking here
- "Got an opening. Attacking here."
- "Going in for the kill, right here."
- "Taking the shot. Pushing in here."
- "Moving on 'em here."
- Looting here
- "I think this place could use a looting."
- "I'm gonna try looting here."
- "Hey - gonna do some looting here."
- "May be loot here."
- Vault Key
- "Vault Key here for whoever can grab it."
- (when picked up) "Got myself the key to the Vault."
- (when used on Vault) "Vault - Open for business."
- Closed Door
- "Got a Closed door here."
- "Hey, Gilbraltar's got a train, right here."
- "Health drone here. Aw, little guy. Oh, you manini. Better stay behind Gibraltar."
- "Health drone here. Oh, hello little guy. You kinda manini, yeah? You better float behind Gibraltar."
- "Health drone here. Aw, little guy. You kinda manini. You better float behind Gibraltar."
- When using Dome of Protection
- "Dome Shield out."
- "(laughs) Throwin' some cover for my brothas."
- "(laughs) They'll never shoot through this."
- "Shield up."
- When using Defensive Bombardment
- "Watch out! - I'm opening the skies."
- "Calling the airstrike."
- "Signaling an airstrike."
- "Raining down some destruction. (laughs)"
- New kill leader
- "Hey, we got ourselves a new kill leader."
- "New kill leader. Heads up."
- Appointed as the Kill Leader
- "Hey I'm the new Kill Leader. Perfect."
- Care Package being delivered
- "Care Package. I love these things."
- Champion eliminated
- "Hey, a champion just fell. This is our match."
- Full squad outside the ring
- "Ring's moving. Keep the hustle."
- When looking at Southwest from Skull Salvage area, where old Thunderdome location was at Kings Canyon before Season 5
- "Feels like yesterday I met Nik here. Until we meet again, Nikolas. I hope to have forgiven me."
- "Keep expecting to see Thunderdome. First job. First love. The world keeps spinnin' in place. Wish time would do the same my braddahs."
- "(Sigh) This one hurts, braddahs. Don't think I'll ever get used to not seeing Thunderdome."
History[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Gibraltar's dome shield is adapted from the ones in Titanfall 1 and 2 used to protect newly called in titans. His gun shield is similar to the one used by Legion.
- Gibraltar's cultural background draws from the entirety of Polynesia, especially from Hawaiian, Samoan, and Māori culture. His melee weapon is a patu, a type of war club used by the Māori.
- The sled-shield on Gibraltar’s Brudda Bear Skin has a label named “maunga”. In the Māori language, this means Mountain, the picture above the logo.
- According to writer Tom Casiello, his ancestors were Samoan, Tongan, Hawaiian, Indonesian, and even a little Peruvian, through one great great great great great grandfather.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Concept art of the Dome of Protection's projector disc.
References[edit | edit source]