|“||Being an Apex Legend takes courage, strength, and confidence... or as some call it, 'Just being Gibraltar' heh heh... We all put passion in our matches and fight like each day depends on it; my work with S.A.R.A.S. taught me that. You need to love what you do, care about what you do, and believe in your ability to do what you do; my parents taught me that. Finally, brothas, trust in those around you, protect those around you, and never forget that no matter how big you are, the world is always bigger; the Apex Games taught me that. Let's go change a life!|
|Real Name||Makoa Gibraltar|
|Weight||292 lbs (132 kg)|
|Height||6'5" (196 cm)|
|Tactical Ability||Dome of Protection|
|Passive Ability||Gun Shield|
|Ultimate Ability||Defensive Bombardment|
|Voice Actor||Branscombe Richmond|
Gibraltar is a Legend that is free and unlocked in the base game.
Gibraltar is a Defensive Legend able to endure a lot of damage. His abilities allow him to take the brunt of enemy attacks with his Gun Shield and protect the squad with his Dome of Protection, this coupled with Defensive Bombardment allows him to do damage to enemies while giving his squad time to rest up and heal.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Gibraltar is a gentle giant with a wild side. The son of two S.A.R.A.S. (Search and Rescue Association of Solace) volunteers, he has always been skilled at getting others out of dangerous situations that are common in the Outlands. However, he only began to understand the value of protecting others when he and his boyfriend Nikolas stole his father's motorcycle, took it on a joyride, and got trapped by a deadly mudslide. His parents saved them, and his father lost an arm in the process. Gibraltar has never forgotten that sacrifice and has devoted his life to helping those in need.
The Apex Games didn't change that, but they changed what it meant. Many of Gibraltar's friends and colleagues have competed in the Games for extra money, fame, and glory over the years, and some never came home. Gibraltar joined to keep them safe and, for the first time, his skills as a rescuer and his rebellious nature worked together. He's now become an icon in the Apex Games, putting himself in the line of fire to protect his squad and send his opponents running for cover.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Dome of Protection[edit | edit source]
|Dome of Protection|
|Description||Throw down a dome-shield that blocks attacks for 12 seconds. Healing items are 15% faster within the dome.|
- Throws a large disc, which upon landing projects a dome shield around it. The dome has a radius of 6 meters and lasts 12 seconds.
- The shield stops all incoming and outgoing bullets and projectiles while allowing players to move through it.
- While inside a dome, all consumable healing items ( Syringes, Shield Cells, etc.) are used 15% faster.
- Also, Gibraltar revives allies in only 5 seconds while inside his dome, faster than the normal 7 seconds.
- Each consumable item's use time is reduced as follows:
- The dome blocks line of sight for things like Wattson's Perimeter Security or Crypto's Neurolink.
- If you have a downed teammate and are being rushed, throw down your ultimate and then your shield right behind the center of the explosion, so the enemy has to walk through it to get to you.
- If an enemy squad is firing at you and your team, throw the shield down. It will block their bullets allowing you and your squad to escape. Combining the shield with Defensive Bombardment can be very helpful.
- The shield is not a complete bubble and depending on the terrain it can have its weak spots.
- No shots can go through the bubble, but you can still be damaged by enemies while inside it.
- Remember that the bubble is not a safespace, but a breathing room from which you can revive teammates, reload and recharge your health and shields.
- Shield dancing can be really useful if done right. Go in and out of the shield while being shot to reduce the damage you take, while also making enemies waste their ammo. While they reload, shoot.
- Try not to use it if you don’t have to, it easily gives your position away to get sniped when the shield is down.
- It's very common for enemies to throw a grenade at the bubble and force you out of it. Be aware of that, but be careful with your positioning so you know how to deal with this situation.
- If someone exits the dome in the middle of using a health kit, the use time will revert to normal, but the UI progress bar will still move faster and end early as though the buff was still active.
- Sometimes the fast revive will fail and do a normal revive instead.
- In Firing Range, the dome can sometimes go through floors of high places. It is unsure if this happens in World's Edge or Olympus.
Gun Shield[edit | edit source]
|Description||Aiming down sights deploys a gun shield that blocks incoming fire.|
- While aiming, Gibraltar will have an energy shield in front of him with 50 health that protects his upper body from incoming fire while allowing him to shoot out.
- The shield can be disabled by pressing H//.
- If broken, it has a 9-second cooldown before regenerating.
- The health of the energy shield can be seen on both the left and right sides while aiming down sights. The cooldown meter can also be seen refilling the 1-8 bars of energy meter.
- The shield can sometimes make it easier to spot Gibraltar while he is hiding, so it may be worth disabling temporarily if you're pretty sure you're otherwise hidden.
- Crouching while using your gun shield makes you a hard target to do damage to from the front.
- Activating the gun shield during a sniper fight often grants you the upper hand. Thus, Gibraltar is one the best Legends to use snipers.
- However, if the enemy has a Kraber, be careful, as the damage left from the Gun Shield now disperses the rest of it onto you.
- A player who uses Gibraltar’s Gun Shield to aim down sights at an Arc Stars or a Frag Grenades will be completely protected from taking any damage. Their Gun Shield will also not take any damage at all from the explosion. This has always been unclear whether this is an intentional feature to Gun Shield or simply a bug.
- Simultaneously firing and switching to hip-fire will make the shot not register as a hit, even if the shot is clearly hitting the target.
Defensive Bombardment[edit | edit source]
|Charge time||270 seconds|
|Description||Call in a concentrated mortar strike on a marked position.|
- Throws a smoke grenade that marks a 24-meter radius around it for a mortar strike.
- For 6 seconds, explosives continuously rain down on the area, dealing 40 damage per hit and shell-shocking players.
- The area is marked for all players with red circles indicating where mortar shells will hit.
- This ability also damages you so use it with caution.
- This ability is nice for support; if enemies are hiding, it can drive them out of cover and into an easier line of fire. It can also be used as an attack or a defensive ability.
- You can call it inside your shield to temporize and give you few seconds of rest, as enemies will be unable to come inside. Use this time to revive, heal, reload, or run away.
- Use this ability to finish off enemies you downed from a distance.
- Wattson's Interception Pylon can negate a sizable area of the bombardment. Try to use the ability after it's been destroyed.
Fortified[edit | edit source]
|Description||Incoming damage reduced by 15%. Not slowed by bullets.|
- Take 15% less damage from every attack.
- Fortified Legends are immune to slow effects from weapon fire.
- Don't overestimate this ability, 15% less damage generally translates to surviving 1 more shot.
- The combination of Gibraltar's Gun shield, Red Evo Shield and this perk allows him to tank a lot of damage.
Cosmetic items[edit | edit source]
Skins[edit | edit source]
There are a total of 62 Legend skins for Gibraltar; 17 Legendary, 5 Epic, 24 Rare and 16 Common.
- Included in the Resurrected Bundle.
- “When a Chevrex benefit dinner was hijacked by wannabe mobsters with Gibraltar in attendance, he stole one of their uniforms and posed as part of the group to save the day - like Gibraltars do.”
Deep Blue[note 1]
- Was originally named Greatness Awaits.
Finishers[edit | edit source]
Badges[edit | edit source]
Heirloom Set[edit | edit source]
This set was made available during the Fight Night event. Anyone who completed the Fight Night Collection set will be given this automatically.
The set contains:
- A Melee Weapon Skin: War Club
- A Banner Pose: Like a Rock
- An Intro Quip: "When this is over, they'll all know the name 'Gibraltar.'"
Skydive Emotes[edit | edit source]
Front Row Seat
Holo-Sprays[edit | edit source]
- I'm Ready, Are You? - Level 11
- You're Next Bruddah - Level 59
- Belly Flop - 400
- Go Out With A Bang - 400
Music Packs[edit | edit source]
Loading Screens[edit | edit source]
Voice lines[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Gibraltar's dome shield is adapted from the ones in Titanfall 1 and 2 used to protect newly called in titans. His gun shield is similar to the one used by Legion.
- Gibraltar's cultural background draws from the entirety of Polynesia, especially from Hawaiian, Samoan, and Māori culture. His melee weapon is a patu, a type of war club used by the Māori.
- The sled-shield on Gibraltar’s Brudda Bear Skin has a label named “maunga”. In the Māori language, this means Mountain, the picture above the logo.
- According to writer Tom Casiello, his ancestors were Samoan, Tongan, Hawaiian, Indonesian, and even a little Peruvian, through one great great great great great grandfather.
Gallery[edit | edit source]