|“||You can only trust those who you know are liars. I used to think differently back when I was working as a simple computer engineer. A straight-edge job with no bumps - I would go in, do what I was asked, and leave. I rarely doubted the loyalty of those who worked alongside me, I didn't really care, until the contract came in... a service order from: Q.W. Initials. That's all I know of the person who took my life away from me. And that is why I am here now. That is why I did what I did to get into the Games.|
|Real Name||Tae Joon Park (박태준)|
|Weight||130 lbs (59 kg)|
|Height||5'9" (175 cm)|
|Tactical Ability||Surveillance Drone|
|Ultimate Ability||Drone EMP|
|Voice Actor||Johnny Young|
A Recon Legend, Crypto takes to the skies with his Surveillance Drone, revealing enemies for both Crypto and his teammates, thanks to Neurolink. And if he finds that the enemies have already hunkered down, he can activate his Drone EMP to break their defenses and slow them before he comes out of the shadows and makes his move with his squad.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Crypto specializes in secrets; he knows how to uncover them, and how to keep them. A brilliant hacker and encryption expert, he uses aerial drones to spy on his opponents in the Apex Arena without being seen.
Orphans raised on the streets of Suotamo, Tae Joon and his foster sister Mila Alexander escaped a life of squalor by becoming computer engineers, designing drones used by the Syndicate to transmit the Apex Games throughout the Outlands. But two years ago, Tae Joon and Mila accidentally discovered a prediction algorithm used by the Syndicate to rig bets for the Apex Games, leading to Mila’s mysterious murder - and the framing of Tae Joon for it. With his reputation destroyed, and the Syndicate after him, he gave up his identity, his face and his family in order to facilitate his redemption.
Wanting to get closer to the people who framed him, Tae Joon planned to join the games, but thought he wouldn't be able to pass the games' qualifiers. He then hacked into the games' mainframe and put himself in their records as a legend, but not before blowing up Kings Canyon's Repulsor Tower to serve as a distraction. This allowed the entry of hostile wildlife on Kings Canyon and disruption of the games.
Now joining the games as the combatant known as Crypto, he seeks justice - and revenge.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Surveillance Drone[edit | edit source]
|Description||Deploys an aerial drone. 40-second cooldown if destroyed.|
- The drone can be deployed and flown up to 200 meters away from Crypto. If the drone is 240+ meters away from Crypto, it'll automatically be recalled.
- The drone can ping items as long as they are within 12 meters. Enemies can be pinged up to 125 meters.
- When not being piloted manually, the drone can be parked in midair or recalled to Crypto. The recall takes 3 seconds.
- The drone has 60 health, and only heals damage when recalled.
- The drone can be used to open doors and supply bins, pick up teammates' banner cards, use survey beacons and use respawn beacons instantly. It must be within 7 meters to do these.
- Banners through the drone vision will show the number of enemy squads within the 200-meter radius.
- Crypto can warn teammates about the number of nearby squads by pinging banners while in drone view
- Crypto is left stationary while piloting the drone. Taking damage while in drone view will force Crypto out of it.
- While in drone view Weapons automatically reload, starting with the currently equipped weapon. Reloads take the same amount of time as they would normally except for the Mastiff which takes as much time as reloading one bullet regardless of how empty the clip is.
- The following is everything that the Surveillance Drone can Ping:
- The user can manually ping and use the ping wheel while in drone view.
- Pathfinder's Grappling Hook can attach to the drone.
- A teammate's Arc Star can stick to the drone.
- The drone cannot pass through Wraith's Dimensional Rift.
- Although your team can see the Surveillance Drone's automatic pings, the range is very limited. Remember to manually ping the enemies you see that the drone doesn't automatically detect.
- Crypto is completely vulnerable while in drone view. Find a safe place to stay while managing the drone. You can also crouch while entering the Surveillance Drone to force Crypto to stay in this stance while using it, making it easier to hide him.
- You can also use the Drone as a decoy so the enemies will be distracted to shoot it, while your team is either flanking or escaping.
- If your squadmates have died outside the ring and you're inside the ring, you can use Surveillance Drone to safely retrieve your squadmates' banner.
- Crypto can recall the Surveillance Drone anytime, even while shooting, healing or executing other actions.
- Holding the tactical button allows Crypto to deploy his Surveillance Drone and immediately exit from the drone view.
- Because enemy drones appear with an orange aura, using it outside The Ring will cause it to visually blend in with the orange ring effect and its partial opacity, making it harder for enemies to spot. The Drone does not take Ring damage.
- The Surveillance Drone can sometimes take more shots to destroy than intended despite only having 60 health. This doesn't include weapons that can one shot it such as the Wingman.
- Sometimes when Crypto's Surveillance Drone hacking Survey Beacon, the next ring is not revealed on the map unless you hack it when facing its front.
- You can drop attachments off your own weapons while in drone view and with a full inventory, doing so will drop the attachments off the drone.
[edit | edit source]
|Description||Crypto and his teammates see what the Surveillance Drone detects up to a 30-meter radius.|
- The drone will highlight nearby doors, supply bins, traps, and enemies in its line of sight. Enemies are more noticeably marked with a triangle.
- Enemies highlighted by the drone will see 'DRONE DETECTED' on their HUD.
- Mirage cannot be detected while cloaked from Now You See Me....
- Mirage's decoys can be scanned but won't be highlighted as an enemy.
- Enemies won't be highlighted if Gibraltar's Dome of Protection comes between them and the drone.
- If Crypto is inside enemy or friendly Bangalore smoke while in recon mode your screen will start to become fuzzy.
- Enemies cannot be detected through Bangalore’s smoke or Caustic’s gas.
- The Drone EMP and Neurolink can be used even when Crypto is not directly controlling the drone. This actively allows Crypto to stay in the fight or gather information on what the enemy/enemies are doing.
- The Surveillance Drone is noisy and its automatic enemy detection will warn enemies of its presence. If you don't want them to know your squad is nearby, you can manually ping them from a distance.
- If you're struggling to find enemy squads, flying around with the Drone through buildings and covers and looking through glass might cause them to be spotted by the Surveillance's Drone enemy detection, even if you didn't notice them.
Drone EMP[edit | edit source]
|Charge time||180 seconds|
|Description||Charge up an EMP blast from your drone. Deals 50 shield damage, slows players, and disables traps.|
- Takes 3 seconds to charge before detonating.
- Affects all players (and Crypto himself) in its 30-meter radius, even through walls and cover. Teammates take no shield damage, but are slowed.
- The slow lasts roughly 1-2 seconds.
- The following is everything that the Drone EMP will destroy:
- The following is everything that will take 50 damage from Drone EMP:
- EMP will deal 100 damage instead of 50 to the following:
- The radius of the blast is the same as Neurolink's tracking radius. If an enemy is highlighted in orange, you know they'll be caught in the blast.
- You can activate EMP even when you are not in the drone view. The EMP will be activated where you last leave the drone. This way, you can set the drone in one spot, leave the drone view, prepare for an ambush, activate the EMP, and rush immediately.
- Keep in mind that you and your drone are still vulnerable to damage while EMP is charging.
- Be mindful that your drone is easier to spot while EMP is charging. Try to activate EMP in a tough to reach/aim spot to keep your drone safe.
- Using the EMP on enemies who are fighting or escaping outside The Ring can be effective as the slow effect can potentially be enough for the ring to knock or eliminate them.
- Using EMP on single targets is well worth doing. This can take an enemy out of the team fight for a few seconds if you solo EMP them rather than their team to group up. Solo EMPs also have more chances of being successful than it getting shot down.
- EMP is very good for ending team fights quickly to and lessening the chances of your team getting third partied.
- As a Crypto main, it's best to carry at least 1-2 Ultimate Accelerant in your inventory to quickly build another EMP.
- When paired with Wraith, having her create a Dimensional Rift as you follow her while manually piloting the Drone to EMP. Take the portal to force a team fight as well as having an escape route back to safety just encase the team fight is failing.
Recon[edit | edit source]
|Description||Scan a survey beacon to reveal the Ring's next location.|
- Allows you to access the 12 survey beacons available on the map in any given match to determine the circle location after the currently marked circle.
- The interaction with the survey beacon takes 7 seconds, during which you are vulnerable.
- A survey beacon can be used again when the next round starts.
Cosmetic Items[edit | edit source]
Skins[edit | edit source]
There are a total of 52 legend skins for Crypto; 12 Legendary, 6 Epic, 18 Rare and 16 Common.
Finishers[edit | edit source]
Badges[edit | edit source]
Skydive Emotes[edit | edit source]
Music Pack[edit | edit source]
Loading Screens[edit | edit source]
Voice Lines[edit | edit source]
- "Better to die fighting than to live in fear."
- " .
- "I always kill the messenger. It's safer that way."
- "I am more prepared than you know."
- "I'm not paranoid, I'm prepared."
- "I'm watching. I'm always watching."
- "I only trust whom I have to trust. Let's keep it at that."
- "It doesn't matter who I am, only what I can do."
- "It's hard to be scared when you're prepared."
- "It's time. ."
- "I will find them, and the truth."
- "Off the grid is the only secure way to go."
- "That's my secret. I'm always ready."
- "They call this place secure? We'll see about that."
- "They'll never catch me. ."
- "The truth is out there."
- "What you see is not what you get."
- "With an eye in the sky, there's nothing to fear."
- "You can't hide from your mistakes."
- "You're either ready, or you're an idiot."
- "This is only the beginning. ."
- "I'm not a pawn. I'm here to break the game."
- ". This may be the last time you compete."
- "Truth is coming, and I won't be stopped."
- "You better hope I find you before they do."
- "We all wear costumes to hide who we are."
- "Joy, cheer; they took that away from me. Now I take it from you."
- "You think you're not being watched right now. Don't be an idiot."
- "I have been through hell to get here. Can you say the same?"
- "I used to fear many things, but that man is gone."
- "I'm here because I have to be. What's your excuse?"
- "If I know who you are, so do they. Break the rules and you're gone."
- "It's easy to get here, harder to walk away."
- "It's easy to run away but you gain nothing."
- "It's very simple. I know more than each of you could possibly imagine."
- "Do not trust what you think you know. ."
- "You should be careful. ."
- "There's only one thing you need to know to survive, and that's everything."
- "Think you can surprise me? Think again."
- "We are all just data waiting to be deleted."
- "When you have nothing else to lose, it's easy to win."
- "You found me. Now come and get me."
- "You thought you were better than me. Now you know the truth."
- "How do you know this isn't my mask? Trick's on you."
- "Winter may be long, but this journey? That's cut short for you."
- "A lot of people run from something that's not after them, but for you, I was."
- "Access denied."
- "Don't take it personally. They would have gotten to you, one way or another."
- "You can only hide from the inevitable for so long."
- "I cracked your securities and your face."
- "I don't know if you're just bad or an idiot. Either way, you're gone."
- "I knew you'd come after me. That's why I'm still here."
- "I mean this with respect: you're a hack."
- "I never heard of you, and now, no one ever will."
- "I bet you want to know who I really am. I'll tell you the truth: I'm the person who beat you."
- "Sometimes it's hard to run when I'm watching your every move."
- "I've seen target dummies smarter than you."
- "I'm sure you were looking for me. In some small way, you succeeded."
- "It appears that intelligence is just a word to you."
- "It seemed like you zigged, when you should have quit and gone home."
- "I know you wish you knew what I know, but I hope you know that it's just going to make you crazy."
- "It's not your fault, I get it, but this is just the way it goes.
- "I'll make this simple: it's all about the information you have that I want."
- "You really messed up. But what do I know? I'm just a genius."
- "I've been watching you. You're not bad, ."
- "You are just a messenger, I get that, ."
- "Legend? Heh. Sometimes we are all someone we are not."
- "Only fight the battles you know you can win."
- "How long were you on my tail? .
- "Sometimes they catch up to you, sometimes they lose."
- "Sometimes you get tired of running, I understand, but you can't ever stop."
- "They don't know everything, but me? That's how I found you."
- "They-- they did this to both of us."
- "They say knowledge is power, but what you do with it? That's what's important."
- "This wasn't personal, you're just in my way."
- "You can run, you can hide, but you can't escape yourself."
- "You can't hide from your mistakes, I'll find them."
- "You found me. Good eyes. Not as good as mine."
- "You got a bug. Let me fix it."
- "It seems you should have been a bit more careful."
- "You should have been more prepared. I was."
- "No one will find you. You're long off the grid, now."
- "I'm sorry it had to be this way. You're not the one I'm after."
- "I knew you were coming. You're predictable and I'm not."
- "I don't know who you are, and I don't really care. You're going to disappear."
- "You've got to watch your back, you can't trust others to do it for you."
- I'm Jumpmaster
- "Follow me, I'm the jumpmaster"
- "I'll be leading the jump"
- Dropping as Jumpmaster
- "I'll try and keep us under the radar."
- "Get prepared, we're going in."
- Skydive Emote
- Downed an enemy
- "I downed one."
- "Ya, I put one down."
- Consecutively downed another enemy
- "Downed another."
- Killed an enemy
- "Killed one."
- Finishing a Squad
- "Full squad deleted."
- "Ggeutjang netdah. That was the last one."
- [to Mirage] "Joh-a, took out a full squad. Try and keep up, old man."
- [Solo] "Finished a full Squad."
- I'm down
- "I'm down. I'm not done yet."
- Incoming Grenade
- " ! Grenade."
- Reviving Squadmate
- "You're still in this."
- "Watch your back. I won't always be around."
- [to Caustic] "You're necessary. Get up."
- [to Mirage] "Ya, I've got you old man. You're welcome."
- [to Mirage] "Ya, I've got you… old man. You're welcome."
- Healing Up
- "Give me a second, fixing up."
- "I'm fine, just fixing up."
- Recharging shields
- "Hold on, shields recharging."
- " , I will give up when I'm dead."
- Another Squad attacking
- " , being attacked by another squad!"
- Being Respawned
- "Thanks for not giving up on me."
- "They tried to get rid of me -- they failed."
- Pick up Banner Card
- "Don't worry. I picked up the banner."
- "Got the banner. I'm not giving up on them."
- Knocked multiple enemies solo (multiple reports of people hearing this voice line)
- "Woah, they got slammed."
- "Woah. They got wrecked."
- Squad split up.
- "The more spread out we are, the harder it is to have each other's back."
- Using a survey beacon
- "Ya, I found the next ring location. It's on your map."
- Pinging location in Dropship
- "Wherever we go, I'm ready."
- "Just picking a place."
- "How about here?"
- "I heard you"
- [to Mirage] "Someone's gotta keep you alive, Witt."
- [to Mirage] "Alright but if you get us killed, Mirage.. I'll kill you again."
- [to Mirage] "Okay, old man. This better not be a joke."
- "Not a good idea for me."
- " ."
- Canceled Ping
- "Forget that."
- Pinging location
- "Let's transfer to this spot."
- "Let's move here."
- "Over here. ."
- "This way. ."
- "Let's go this way."
- Defending over here.
- "I will safeguard that location."
- Going here
- "Relocating over there. ."
- Location Compromised / Someone's been here
- "That area has been looted."
- "They've made their way here before us."
- Looting over here
- "Nah juhchok uro kalgeh - May find loot here."
- "Searching for loot."
- Pinging enemy
- "Enemy agent, right here."
- "Enemy agent over there. ?"
- "Enemy over there."
- "Got one, right here."
- "I see an enemy over there."
- "I see one of them. ."
- "One of them's right here."
- "They're far, I see one."
- "Ya, enemy spotted."
- Need help
- "Yughi. I could use some backup."
- "They got me but I'm still here."
- "I'm down but alive."
- "That's something I can use."
- "Yeah, I'll take that."
- [to Mirage] "I'm good."
- "Peacekeeper weapon located."
- "This Jump Pad can help."
- Banner Screen with Surveillance Drone
- " , there are no squads near us."
- "Ya, there are no squads near us."
- "One squad near us. We have the drop."
- "Joshimaja. One squad nearby."
- "There are two Squads somewhere nearby."
- Charge tower
- "I've got a charge tower here. Keep yourself prepared."
- "Charge tower over there. If you need to use it -- do it."
- [Quip] Celebration
- "Be proud. ."
- "Jal haess-eo! We were well prepared."
- [Quip] Thank You
- " ."
- "Thank you."
- [Quip] Thanks for the first-aid
- [to Mirage] "Thank you. Maybe you're not the fool I took you as… for now."
- [Quip] You're Welcome
- Activating Surveillance Drone
- "Putting my eye in the sky."
- "Switching to drone view. Watch my back."
- "The all-seeing eye."
- "Adding an extra pair of eyes."
- "Patching into my eye in the sky. I'll let you know what I see."
- Logging Off Surveillance Drone
- "Backing out of my drone, I'm good to go."
- "I'm back. Logged off my drone."
- Recalling Surveillance Drone
- "I'm recalling my drone."
- "Signaling my drone back."
- Surveillance Drone Destroyed
- "My drone has been destroyed."
- "Someone destroyed my drone!"
- Activating Drone EMP
- "Activating hardware reboot."
- "Making them reboot"
- "Activating EMP."
- "Sending reboot command."
- "Executing reboot."
- "Initializing EMP."
- "Rebooting the system."
- Hit by Drone EMP
- “EMP hit me!”
- "Getting EMP'ed."
- Inside Airstrike Area
- "Airstrike, move!"
- "Incoming. Get to cover."
- "Airstrike. !"
- First Blood
- "The first has fallen."
- "They got the first. They'll get the rest."
- New Kill Leader
- "There's a new Kill Leader. ."
- "They found a new kill leader."
- Kill Leader eliminated
- "That Kill Leader's title was just a name."
- Appointed as Kill Leader
- "I'm Kill Leader? They'll be coming for me."
- [with Mirage] "Sorry, Witt, but the Kill Leader goes to the best… and that's me. (laughs)"
- Squadmate appointed as Kill Leader
- " . You're the Kill Leader. They'll be watching you."
- Champion eliminated
- "The champion is gone and forgotten."
- "They got the champion."
- Care package incoming
- "Eyes in the sky. Care package coming in."
- "Ya, they dropped a care package."
- One Squad Left
- "This is the last squad. ."
- [Solo] "Almost through. One more Squad left."
- Ring Far
- "Pay attention to your map. The next ring is not close."
- One minute before far ring closure
- "60 seconds until the ring closes. It's far, but I'm used to running."
- [Solo] "Ring is close - Planned that nicely."
- 30 seconds before nearby ring closure, in squad
- "We are close to the ring. Get prepared. 30 seconds left."
- Squadmates outside of the ring
- "If you don't want to get caught, better get inside the ring."
- Full squad outside of the ring
- "We are all outside of the ring. We'll be safer inside."
History[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Crypto was teased for an entire season before his official reveal:
- Crypto's first appearance was in the trailer for Season 2, where he was responsible for destroying the Repulsor tower.
- Crypto was the source of several 'glitches' in Kings Canyon, including distorted lines from the announcer and hacked banner displays showing his attempts to get login information.
- Crypto appeared in an inaccessible room behind glass in Singh Labs, getting info on the space elevator at World's Edge. When a player got near, he and his drone would flee.
- Crypto shows his opinions about the other Legends very clearly in coded messages/letters to Mystik, his former caretaker:
- He shows a strong disliking for Mirage, despite acknowledging Mystik's adoration for him. He finds Mirage too cocky and an idiot.
- He assumes Caustic is nothing more than a sociopath and seems to avoid him out of intimidation.
- He thought nothing of Gibraltar, but upon closer inspection, found him to be one of the few with morals.
- Crypto's logo appears in "Voidwalker" when an alternate Wraith hacks into an abandoned IMC base.
- As explained by writer Tom Casiello, the device around his jawline/ear alters his face, so he doesn’t look like himself from the past.
- He also said that the Hype Beast skin is "his innermost desires come to life. He wants to scream his identity to all within earshot. Because that would mean this nightmare is over."
- Crypto's drone is named Hack.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
A coded message from Crypto to Mystik.
Concept art of Crypto.
Concept art for the drone.
Concept art for the drone's remote.
References[edit | edit source]