|“||Yes, I've heard about criminals posing as Legends, and they're as derivative as they are pathetic. Take this prison break. I admit there are similarities to my modus operandi, but the cloud formations... that's where they went wrong. My gas wafts through the air as if dancing with death. Not like the spray of some hick fireman's two decade old extinguisher, as shown here. Anybody with a tenth of my brain power can see this for what it is: amateurs playing dress-up in a desperate attempt to gain notoriety. But considering your banal, lackluster brand which you dare call 'journalism'? A tenth of my intellect is giving you far too much credit. Do you have any more questions that might illuminate your ignorance? Very well. Enjoy your day.
|Real Name||Alexander Maxwell Nox|
|Tactical Ability||Nox Gas Trap|
|Passive Ability||Nox Vision|
|Ultimate Ability||Nox Gas Grenade|
|Voice Actor||JB Blanc|
Caustic is a legend that is locked from the base game. This legend can be unlocked by using in-game currencies: pay 12,000 or 750.
Caustic is a Defensive Legend with a slower play style, he excels in holding down the fort and breaking down enemy attacks. His gas traps, gas grenades, and Nox vision can cause breaks in enemy attacks, distorting vision and causing panic.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Alexander Maxwell Nox was born to Arthur Rutherford Nox and Katerina Ticacek Nox on February 25, 2685. He worked as a research scientist for Humbert Labs on his homeworld Gaea, the Frontier's leading manufacturer of pesticide gases. With a glut of pesticides needed to protect the growing Frontier colonies’ crops, Humbert Labs was constantly on the hunt for better and stronger formulas. Nox was one of their brightest scientists and worked day and night developing new gases. But to make sure they worked, he needed to test them on more than just inert tissue: he needed something living.
As he toiled in secret, Nox began to see the beauty in his creations and their ability to destroy anything they touched. But the head of Humbert Labs, Dr. Franklin Humbert, soon discovered his gruesome experiments, and their confrontation ended with the lab in flames and its chief dead. Today, Nox is missing and presumed deceased, his supposed body found and identified by his mother, charred and beyond recognition. 10 years later, Caustic now finds new test subjects in the Apex Games, where he puts his gaseous creations to work and observes their effects with great interest.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Nox Gas Trap[edit | edit source]
|Nox Gas Trap|
|Description||Drop Canisters that release deadly Nox gas when shot or triggered by enemies.|
- You can hold up to three charges of this ability, and gain one charge every 25 seconds. Up to six traps can be active on the map at once, and you're able to pick up unused traps to regain a charge.
- Your enemies and teammates will be slowed inside the gas and are unable to sprint.
- If one Trap affects an enemy it will deal 4 damage/sec, increased by 1 every hit to a maximum of 10. Your ultimate and any other trap affecting the same enemy will deal only 1 (it doesn't increase) damage.
- The trap and the gas cloud deal Health damage only ignoring shields.
- Shooting the top of the trap will cause it to go off. Shooting the base will destroy it without releasing gas.
- Shooting the base of the trap before it activates will destroy it without releasing the gas.
- It's good to throw a trap in a smokescreen generated by a Bangalore's Smoke Launcher, especially if enemies are hiding in it. This will also highlight enemies in green due to Nox Vision, and allow you unfettered view of the enemies.
- When outnumbered or in a sticky situation, throw multiple traps around you. The enemy's bullets will hit your traps, setting them off, and allowing you to escape or heal to stay in the fight.
- When going through Wraith's Dimensional Rift portals, throw a trap at the end to catch enemies off guard trying to get your squad from behind and reveal their position due to your passive.
- Throwing a trap in front of a door prevents it from opening to that side. You can use this feature to block doors and protect yourself or to trap enemies inside an enclosed room. If they break down the door, the trap will activate and you'll be in the
- You can use your traps as smoke bombs, to throw some cover for sniper fire or general confusion.
- If you found the location of an enemy Revenant's Death Totem, set a trap on it and any Shadows that died who used it will instantly go down when they return to the totem because they only spawn with 1 Health.
Nox Vision[edit | edit source]
|Description||Allows you to see enemies through Nox Gas.|
- Caustic is immune to the effects of Nox Gas whether it belongs to him or an enemy Caustic.
- Enemies inside the gas created from your tactical and ultimate abilities are highlighted green, similar to a threat scope. This vision is not obstructed by walls or other obstacles.
- Your teammates do not share this vision, so be sure to communicate to them the locations of enemies you can see.
- Your threat vision doesn't work against other Caustics, forcing you to prioritize them, as they are immune to all Nox Gas effects and they can see your allies even if they are on your gas.
Nox Gas Grenade[edit | edit source]
|Nox Gas Grenade|
|Charge time||120 seconds|
|Description||Blankets a large area in Nox gas.|
- Deals ever-increasing damage from 4 to 10 for every second spent in the gas.
- Other than the wider area, the gas's function is identical to that of the Gas Traps.
- Do not use this ability and expect it to kill an entire squad. Similar to Bangalore's Rolling Thunder, its main utility comes in the fact that enemies are forced to either evacuate the area or suffer the consequences of damage, obscured vision, inability to sprint and more.
- Since this slows and deals increasing damage, it can be combined with Nox Vision to pick off enemies in your smoke. If you have some grenades that need using, throw them into your smoke when an enemy is caught - this tactic has the capability of wiping out full squads if enough players are caught in your gas.
- Using this ability in large, open areas is often a waste. Try to save it for when enemies are occupying a building, a small area or are hiding behind a cover too dangerous to bypass.
- All enemies that find themselves in the gas cloud are subject to Nox Vision. Use this to hunt down and kill enemies while they are weakened.
- You can use it to block chockepoints or cover-up revives.
Fortified[edit | edit source]
|Description||Reduces damage taken by 15%|
- Take 15% less damage from every attack.
- Immunity to slow effects from weapon fire.
- Don't overestimate this ability, 15% less generally translates to surviving 1 more shot.
Cosmetic Items[edit | edit source]
Skins[edit | edit source]
There are a total of 52 legend skins for Caustic; 10 Legendary, 7 Epic, 19 Rare and 16 Common.
Finishers[edit | edit source]
Skydive Emotes[edit | edit source]
Music Packs[edit | edit source]
Loading Screens[edit | edit source]
Voice Lines[edit | edit source]
- "Death finds a way."
- "Death is not mercurial. It's patient... unlike life."
- "Death stalks the ignorant, intelligence will guide us to survival."
- "Don't be fooled, I'm a man of science."
- "Entropy is the natural order of the universe. I simply catalyze the process."
- "I do not care who makes the kill. As long as I can observe it die."
- "I enjoy many things but death is what inspires."
- "If I may be honest, I find death fascinating."
- "Ineptitude is the true killer."
- "I quantify skill by the evidence."
- "It's a fine line. Avoid death as closely as possible."
- "I wish for one thing: results."
- "My thesis: the willing will survive."
- "One thing is certain. Someone will die."
- "Science is unapologetic. As am I."
- "Science rules all. With its help, we will too."
- "The pull toward disorder is relentless, I embrace it."
- "This experiment will sort out the capable from the incompetent."
- "This fight will result in death for the weak. So be it."
- "You must understand, death is the true test."
- "I don't relish the title... I relish the kill."
- "It all ends the same way... with me observing."
- "Join my experiment below."
- "Life is meant to die. Accept your fates."
- "Marvelous! So many willing test subjects."
- "Opening season... Very well."
- "I find these insipid celebrations of the macabre... amusing."
- "I enjoy the winter months. Everything dies."
- "A deterministic end will find you below."
- "Close combat gets messy."
- "I have no regrets. It's not in my DNA."
- "Don't rush to your ends. I linger on those final moments."
- "I will not apologize for simply expediting the inevitable."
- "Intelligence is a dying breed... But not today."
- "Know your place. I know mine."
- "My methods are only controversial to those who lack imagination."
- "Patience. Just... patience."
- "Science is precise. As am I."
- "Test me. I encourage this."
- "The kill is more important than the prize."
- "Watch for my traps. I'll be watching you."
- "You and I are not equals. Remember this."
- "If our paths cross, you'll wish the end came sooner."
- "What's your costume? Sub-average intelligence?"
- "You're about to face the longest winter of them all."
- "I observe the field from a plateau you cannot even comprehend."
- "Accept the process. It is, after all, well tested."
- "Another trial, another test subject."
- "Being fundamentally better sours the taste of victory."
- "You made an attempt on my life. Brave, perhaps, but ill conceived."
- "Death is a paradoxical quest. It ends, but never truly begins."
- "Don't look for sympathy. You won't find it."
- "Humanity. It's just a word."
- "I don't consider death cruel, but life... (coughs)"
- "I thank you."
- "It's simple really. (coughs) I'm just better than you."
- "In the end, everything dies."
- "It's a miraculous thing."
- "Just a taste is all you need."
- "Know your place, (coughs) at the bottom of the food chain."
- "Life ends with death. I am simply expediting the process."
- "My intelligence should not be underestimated."
- (Laughs) "One more."
- "In the end, one's life is measured by those we've changed."
- "Science demands a repeatable outcome to any given experiment. Hence why I am here, and you are there."
- "Remarkable. Simply remarkable."
- "Some compounds are inert, having little to no effect on the outcome... Like you."
- "Take notes. I am."
- "I don't concern myself with the ambitions of insects."
- "The biggest trap is your own mind."
- "The distance between life and death is measured by suffering."
- "The rabbit's cries bring the wolves."
- "The results have come in. You lose."
- "In time, the strong will filter out the weak."
- "To say your death is a waste is the understatement of the century."
- "There is a process to everything, and also a conclusion. This is yours."
- "This is my favorite part."
- "This was a failure... for one of us."
- "This was an inevitable outcome."
- "Victory is delicious."
- "Without pain, the body suffers in silence, omitting the entertainment."
- "Take comfort in the fact you are now a part of something grander."
- "You thought we were equals. Foolish."
- "You're welcome."
- "Perhaps if I wasn't one of the variables, your outcome would have been different."
- "I must confess, your skills were inadequate."
- "As Jumpmaster, I'll lead us to where we claim the most lives..."
- "As Jumpmaster, I will decide on a course of action."
- "I'm the Jumpmaster. Follow me."
- "I feel most alive when rapidly approaching my death!"
- "Prepare for certain death!"
- Skydiving Emote
- "Bird's eye view."
- When Squad is Distant
- "We're spread wide, consult your maps."
- Outside the Ring
- "Dying outside the Ring would be (coughs) pointless."
- "Death outside the Ring is slow and painful. Perhaps you should remain there."
- "Next Ring is distant."
- "Next Ring is far. Victory is further still."
- "Not all of us are inside this next Ring. Not all of us are worthy of continuing, either."
- Within the Ring
- "I'm inside the Ring. My odds are... satisfactory."
- "It is fortuitous, I'm already inside the Ring."
- "We find ourselves inside the next Ring. How serendipitous."
- Ring Warnings
- "Forty-five seconds. The Ring is some distance."
- "One minute until Ring closure. Fortunately, I don't have far to go."
- "One minute until the Ring changes."
- "Ring is in close proximity. One more minute."
- "Ring is within close proximity. Forty-five seconds left."
- "Ten seconds. I must get inside the Ring."
- "Ten seconds. I mustn't wait any longer."
- "The Ring is within sight, and I still have forty-five seconds."
- "The Ring is within walking distance, and I still have a minute."
- "The Ring retracts in one minute."
- "The Ring's close. Forty-five seconds. The pressure is exhilarating."
- "Thirty seconds. The Ring is near."
- "Thirty seconds until the Ring closes."
- Care Package
- "The rewards in that Care Package could be a deciding variable."
- Downing an Enemy
- "I have downed an enemy."
- "Subject deceased."
- First Blood
- "Aah, first blood. And so it begins."
- "First blood. And so it begins..."
- "First blood. The cycle has begun."
- Team Claims First Blood
- "A first kill. Euphoric, yet fleeting."
- "We made the first kill. Savor this moment."
- Finishing a Squad
- "Last one down. That completes the triumvirate.
- "That was the last one. Subtracted from the equation."
- "This kill signaled the end of that entire squad."
- "Whole squad wiped. One less variable to consider."
- Team Finishes a Squad
- "I confess-- that kill was pleasant."
- "That kill was... satisfying."
- Champion Eliminated
- "The champion was weighed, and found wanting."
- New Kill Leader
- "New kill leader. I must confess, it's what I long for."
- "There is a new kill leader. Just another insect if you ask me."
- Team Eliminates Kill Leader
- "We've simply removed the Kill Leader from the equation."
- Taking Damage
- "Getting shot at."
- "Taking damage."
- "Taking fire."
- Getting EMPed
- "Incoming electromagnetic pulse."
- Teammate Finished
- "We have lost one. Pity."
- "I have been downed."
- "They downed me!"
- Being Revived
- "I nearly experienced death. So much to notate... once I eliminate the others."
- "Interesting sensation. Thank you."
- "Death will have to wait."
- "You are fortunate we are on the same team."
- Being Respawned
- "I control death... it does not control me."
- "That was... enlightening."
- Grabbing Teammate's Banner
- "I have the banner. Respawning is imminent."
- "The banner's in my control, along with their life."
- Shooting a Cargobot
- "Firing on that cargobot."
- Opening the Vault
- "I, and I alone, have opened the Vault."
- Two Enemy Squads Remain
- "Two final squads."
- "Two squads remain. The probability of victory rises."
- One Enemy Squad Remains
- "One squad left. I shall finish this."
- Positive Quip
- "Congratulations on an optimal conclusion."
- "Excellent. Could not have asked for a better outcome."
- "My hypothesis is correct. I am unstoppable."
- "Very well."
- "I don't think so."
- "No thank you."
- "I'll take that."
- "That's mine."
- Thank You
- "I thank you."
- You're Welcome
- "I've noted your appreciation."
- "Your gratitude is acknowledged."
- Need Help
- "I could use some help."
- "I need medical aid."
- "I require assistance."
- As Jumpmaster
- "Landing in this area yields a high probability for success."
- "This landing area will prove beneficial."
- "I suggest we do some research in this area."
- "I suspect we will find something here."
- "Let's move to this sector."
- "We should conduct a search right here."
- Retracting Ping
- "Never mind."
- "I retract that."
- Pinging Location
- "Going to examine that area."
- "Researching for loot in this area."
- "That area calls for further exploration."
- Pinging Area to Attack
- "Planning the attack over there."
- Pinging Lava
- "I detect lava over there."
- "Lava over there. Interesting addition."
- Pinging Enemy
- "Enemy spotted."
- "Enemy spotted. Close."
- "Enemy spotted. Far."
- "I have a subject in view."
- "I have a subject in view. Far off."
- "I have a subject in view. Right here."
- "Spotted a subject."
- "Spotted a subject over there."
- "Spotted a subject right here."
- "Spotted one."
- "Spotted one. Distant."
- "Subject spotted."
- "Subject spotted here."
- "Subject spotted. There."
- "Target spotted."
- "Target spotted. There."
- Teammate's Banner
- "Our colleague's banner could be used for their recovery."
- Activating Nox Vision
- "(coughs) I still see everything."
- "I still see everything!"
- "(coughs) My vision is clear."
- "My vision is clear."
- Deploying Gas Trap
- "Gas trap deployed."
- "Independent variable added."
- "Placing an independent variable."
- "Placing gas trap."
- Throwing Gas Grenade
- "Breathe it in. (inhales)"
- "Gas cloud deployed."
- "Noxious gas deployed."
- "Take a deep breath."
- "Take a deep breath. (inhales)"
- New Ranked Series
- "A new ranked series brings with it new test subjects."
- Ranked Down
- "My rank has slipped. I blame my insipid squad mates."
- "My rank fell! Clearly, there is a flaw in the system."
- Ranked Up
- "I have moved up in the ranks."
- "I have ranked up."
- New Rank Achieved
- "Silver rank achieved."
- "I am officially ranked Silver."
- "I have achieved the rank of Gold."
- "I am now ranked Gold."
- "Was there any doubt that I'd make it to Platinum?"
- "Platinum rank. Not that I'm surprised in the slightest."
- "I have achieved Diamond rank."
- "I have ascended to the rank of Diamond."
- "Apex Predator. I shall do the rank justice."
- "I am an Apex Predator. A perfect specimen."
- "Trick or treat."
- "Trick or trick."
History[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- His global identification number on Gaea is: ARN0-225P-ER9.
- Caustic may have a life-threatening disease, as in a voice line he says he has faced his death, right before going into a hacking fit. Some speculate he could have Cystic Fibrosis, though many diseases are possibilities.
- Although not visible due to his gloves, Caustic is likely missing at least two fingers. On his death record, the examiner states that two severed fingers were found near to the left hand of the corpse and matched Nox's DNA.
- For some reason, Caustic's eyes appear to glow in the dark. It is currently unknown why, but could have to do with his Nox Vision passive ability.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Death report for Alexander Nox.
Early concept art of Caustic.
Concept art of Caustic.
Model of Caustic's head, showing his face under his gas mask.
Concept art of the Nox Gas Traps.
References[edit | edit source]