|“||Yes, I've heard about criminals posing as Legends, and they're as derivative as they are pathetic. Take this prison break. I admit there are similarities to my modus operandi, but the cloud formations... that's where they went wrong. My gas wafts through the air as if dancing with death. Not like the spray of some hick fireman's two decade old extinguisher, as shown here. Anybody with a tenth of my brain power can see this for what it is: amateurs playing dress-up in a desperate attempt to gain notoriety. But considering your banal, lackluster brand which you dare call 'journalism'? A tenth of my intellect is giving you far too much credit. Do you have any more questions that might illuminate your ignorance? Very well. Enjoy your day.
|Real Name||Alexander Maxwell Nox|
|Tactical Ability||Nox Gas Trap|
|Passive Ability||Nox Vision|
|Ultimate Ability||Nox Gas Grenade|
|Voice Actor||JB Blanc|
Caustic is a legend that is locked from the base game. This legend can be unlocked by using in-game currencies: pay 12,000 or 750 (~ $9.99, £7.99, €9.99).
Biography[edit | edit source]
Alexander Maxwell Nox was born to Arthur Rutherford Nox and Katerina Ticacek Nox on February 25, 2685. He worked as a research scientist for Humbert Labs on his homeworld Gaea, the Frontier's leading manufacturer of pesticide gases. With a glut of pesticides needed to protect the growing Frontier colonies’ crops, Humbert Labs was constantly on the hunt for better and stronger formulas. Nox was one of their brightest scientists and worked day and night developing new gases. But to make sure they worked, he needed to test them on more than just inert tissue: he needed something living.
As he toiled in secret, Nox began to see the beauty in his creations and their ability to destroy anything they touched. But the head of Humbert Labs, Dr. Franklin Humbert, soon discovered his gruesome experiments, and their confrontation ended with the lab in flames and its chief dead. Today, Nox is missing and presumed deceased, his supposed body found and identified by his mother, charred and beyond recognition. 10 years later, Caustic now finds new test subjects in the Apex Games, where he puts his gaseous creations to work and observes their effects with great interest.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Nox Gas Trap[edit | edit source]
|Nox Gas Trap|
|Description||Drop Canisters that release deadly Nox gas when shot or triggered by enemies.|
- You can hold up to three charges of this ability, and gain one charge every 25 seconds. Up to six traps can be active on the map at once, and you're able to pick up unused traps to regain a charge.
- Your enemies and teammates will be slowed inside the gas and are unable to sprint.
- If one Trap affects an enemy it will deal 4 damage, increased by 1 every second. Your ultimate and any other trap affecting the same enemy will deal only 1 (it doesn't increase) damage.
- The trap and the gas cloud deal health damage only ignoring shields.
- Shooting the top of the trap will cause it to go off. Shooting the base will destroy it without releasing gas.
- Shooting the base of the trap before it activates will destroy it without releasing the gas.
- It's good to throw a trap in a smokescreen generated by a Bangalore's Smoke Launcher, especially if enemies are hiding in it. This will also highlight enemies in green due to Nox Vision, and allow you unfettered view of the enemies.
- When outnumbered or in a sticky situation, throw multiple traps around you. The enemy's bullets will hit your traps, setting them off, and allowing you to escape or heal to stay in the fight.
- When going through Wraith's Dimensional Rift portals, throw a trap at the end to catch enemies off guard trying to get your squad from behind and reveal their position due to your passive.
- Throwing a trap in front of a door prevents it from opening to that side. You can use this feature to block doors and protect yourself or to trap enemies inside an enclosed room. If they break down the door, the trap will activate and you'll be in the advantage.
- Don’t think of your traps as traps. Think of them as smoke bombs, or Thermite Grenades.
Nox Vision[edit | edit source]
|Description||Allows you to see enemies through Nox Gas.|
- Caustic is immune to the effects of Nox Gas whether it belongs to him or an enemy Caustic.
- Enemies inside the gas created from your tactical and ultimate abilities are highlighted green, similar to a threat scope. This vision is not obstructed by walls or other obstacles.
- Your teammates do not share this vision, so be sure to communicate to them the locations of enemies you can see.
- Your threat vision doesn't work against other Caustics, forcing you to prioritize them, as they are immune to all Nox Gas effects and they can see you're alies even if they are on you're gas.
Nox Gas Grenade[edit | edit source]
|Nox Gas Grenade|
|Charge time||120 seconds|
|Description||Blankets a large area in Nox gas.|
- Deals ever-increasing damage from 4 to 10 for every second spent in the gas.
- Other than the wider area, the gas's function is identical to that of the Gas Traps.
- The grenade can be shot down by Wattson's Interception Pylon. However, if the grenade has already detonated, the pylon can't block any of the gas, and will even take damage from it.
- Do not use this ability and expect it to kill an entire squad. Similar to Bangalore's Rolling Thunder, its main utility comes in the fact that enemies are forced to either evacuate the area or suffer the consequences of damage, obscured vision, inability to sprint and more.
- Since this slows and deals increasing damage, it can be combined with Nox Vision to pick off enemies in your smoke. If you have some grenades that need using, throw them into your smoke when an enemy is caught - this tactic has the capability of wiping out full squads if enough players are caught in your gas.
- Using this ability in large, open areas is often a waste. Try to save it for when enemies are occupying a building, a small area or are hiding behind a cover too dangerous to bypass.
- All enemies that find themselves in the gas cloud are subject to Nox Vision. Use this to hunt down and kill enemies while they are weakened.
- You can use it to block chockepoints or cover-up revives.
Fortified[edit | edit source]
|Description||Reduces damage taken by 15%|
- Take 15% less damage from every attack.
- Immunity to slow effects from weapon fire.
- Don't overestimate this ability, 15% less generally translates to surviving 1 more shot.
Cosmetic Items[edit | edit source]
Skins[edit | edit source]
Skydive Emotes[edit | edit source]
Music Packs[edit | edit source]
Loading Screens[edit | edit source]
Voice Lines[edit | edit source]
- "In the end, death always wins."
- "Life is meant to die.. accept your fates."
- "I have no regrets, it's not in my DNA."
- "Intelligence is a dying breed, but not today."
- "My methods are only controversial to those who lack imagination."
- "Science is precise, as am I."
- "I observe the field from a plateau you can't even comprehend."
- "Being fundamentally better.. sours the taste of victory."
- "You made an attempt on my life, brave perhaps.. but ill conceived."
- "Death is a paradoxical quest, it ends but never truly begins."
- "Don't look for sympathy, you won't find it."
- "I don't consider death cruel, but life.. *coughs*."
- "In the end one's life is measured by those we've changed."
- "Science demands a repeatable outcome to any given experiment, hence why I am here and you are there."
- "Some compounds are inert, having little to no effect on the outcome, like you."
- "The biggest trap is your own mind."
- "The distance between life and death is measured by suffering."
- "In time the strong will filter out the weak."
- "To say your death is a waste is the understatement of the century."
- "There is a process to everything and also a conclusion, this is yours."
- "Without the pain the body suffers in silence, omitting the entertainment."
- "This was a failure.. for one of us."
- "Perhaps if I wasn't one of the variables your outcome would've been different"
- "Take notes.. I am."
- When Skydiving
- "I feel most alive when rapidly approaching my death!"
- "Prepare for certain death!"
- When squad is far away from each other
- "We're spread wide, consult your maps."
History[edit | edit source]
- Damage reduction increased: 10% -> 15%
- Fortified Legends are now immune to slow effects from weapon fire.
- Nox Gas Grenade: The magnitude of the slow is reduced by 50% when effecting teammates.
- Caustic barrels can now be triggered or disabled by friendly teammates.
- Fixed a rare issue with using consumables while having a Caustic gas canister out.
- Fixed issue with the Fortified Passive ability for Gibraltar and Caustic where they would take damage through shields.
- Fortified Passive Perk added which reduces damage taken by 10%.
- Gas Damage per tick increased from 1 to 4
- Nox Gas Grenade: Throw distance increased from 28 meters to 33 meters.
- Adjusted hitboxes for Gibraltar, Caustic, and Pathfinder to better align with their shapes.
- Nox Gas Trap:
- Reduced cooldown of Traps from 30 to 25 seconds.
- Increased radius and proximity radius by about 10%.
- Removed a 1 second delay on the smoke dealing damage to players.
- Nox Gas Grenade: Reduced cooldown from 2:30 to 2:00 seconds.
- Fixed ADS view being blocked when using Caustic legendary skins with certain weapon/ optic combos
Trailer[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Death report for Alexander Nox.
Early concept art of Caustic.
Concept art of Caustic.
Model of Caustic's head, showing his face under his gas mask.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- His identification number is: ARN8-225P-ER9
- Caustic may have a terminal disease, as he says he has faced his death in a voice line right before going into a hacking fit.
References[edit | edit source]